Killer Wireless 1535 terrible signal range?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Terreos, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For a few weeks I've owned the Acer Predator Triton 700. And I'm happy with it as a whole for gaming. But, anytime I want to use it for say watching netflix in the kitchen while cooking or doing dishes it will dramatically lose signal strength and I can't watch videos that need streamed. This is also the same problem I have anywhere other than the computer room or the living room. Everywhere else I run into this issue.

I ruled out my router as I can watch netflix just fine with my phone and tablet anywhere in the house. So I'm guessing it's my wireless card in my laptop? So is there something I might be able to do to fix the issue? Replace it a better wireless card perhaps? I have the Killer 1535 in my laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello Terreos,

I'm sorry that you are having issues with your 1535. The 1535 should have superior Wi-Fi signal strength on 5 GHz networks, and about average strength on 2.4 GHz networks, so it should certainly be outperforming your other devices. Have you tried updating to the latest Killer Control Center from our site?

We suggest you download the latest Killer Control Center, found here - http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/killer-control-center-x64

Keep in mind that the Killer Control Center contains our latest drivers, and supersedes the Killer Network Manager that you might find pre-installed on your machine from the manufacturer.

Once you have the latest Killer Control Center handy, please follow these steps:

Note: It is important to be aware that, when troubleshooting, you should always shut down your computer by clicking the Start button in the lower left-hand corner, clicking the Power symbol, and clicking Shut Down. You should always reset or reboot your computer by doing the same, but clicking Restart, instead. The power button on most laptops, and some desktops, is not configured to shut the machine down, but rather to sleep the machine. Sleeping the machine does not accomplish the same thing as shutting it down or restarting it.

• Uninstall any Killer Performance Suite and Killer Drivers entries in your Apps & Features menu
    • Restart your machine
    • Run the installer package that you just downloaded
    • Restart your machine once more
    You should now have the latest drivers, and the latest Performance Suite installed. Please let us know if this solves your issue. If it does not, you can reach out to us directly here - http://www.killernetworking.com/about/contact - and we can further troubleshoot the issue.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Phoenix and hmscott like this.
  3. Terreos

Reputations:
    I did already try this thank you. But it doesn’t do anything to improve the issue. I pulled out one of my old laptops to see if it had the same issue. And it works just fine where the killer 1535 isn’t getting signal. And for reference the old laptop uses an Intel WiFi card.

So I’m guessing it’s the software of the killer network suite is the issue. So how exactly do I use it? I couldn’t find a guide on the features and how to use it. I tried winging it to see if I could make changes to it, but I find the software sloppy and have no idea what does what?

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Open device manager > Network Adapters >Right click Killer 1535 and select properties. Click on Advanced tab and change roaming aggressiveness to Lowest and Prefer 5GHz band options and that will fix the issue.
    Also, remove Killer Control Center from Startup and manually start it by clicking it on desktop. W10 Network manager acts weird when KCC app is auto started at log on. You get strange disconnects or random issues.

Papusan, Terreos and hmscott like this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    that's strange. I just bought the latest Intel Wireless-AC 9260 and the range was so bad that I immediately switched back to the Killer-AC 1535. It hast the best range in terms of Wireless Cards. Are you able to like open your laptop and ensure that the antennas are properly and firmly connected to the wireless card?

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I hate Intel cards. Who knows if there's any exploits for intel wifi cards in the wild?

7. Terreos

Reputations:
    Well this did wonders. Thank you. So can you explain what exactly all of this did? When it comes to hardware of computers I'm generally very savy and knowledgeable about it. So gpu, cpu, screens, keyboards, etc. All of that I understand and know how to fix issues of that nature and tweek. But, network type stuff is something I never got into.

Not sure if this is my first killer card as I've never bothered to look or even consider it when buying a machine.

Vasudev's fixed worked. This is a first for me because I've never had to deal with this for the two years I've lived in my house. Every device I've had got signal all through my house. A weaker signal in the basement of course, but it was useable. And the bed room and kitchen were always fine until this laptop. And ironically the last laptop was an Intel chip.

Atleast now I'm not going to be buying a new wireless card to no avail. Was almost considering getting a new router as I still have the crappy one that came with my internet provider. There's another can of worms I have no idea to make a good choice on. lol

And yes I could open the laptop up. It doesn't seem like it's necessary. I was going to open this laptop up and do a repasting of the cpu and gpu, but my device seems to be running a good bit cooler than what reviewers claimed and at this point doesn't seem needed. So I'm holding off until I've had it for awhile before opening it up.

Vasudev, hmscott and Phoenix like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Killer card needs to be tweaked for best performance.
    I didn't come up with the tweaks it was @judal57 who was beta testing Sniper version of Killer and he passed it to me secretly and I used its diagnostics tool to make a report and send it to Killer Networking. I think @Killer_Networking asked me how did you obtain this copy of beta software and the SW was fundamentally different from Killer Network Manager. After 4 days they release the SW publicly. @judal57 was shocked and surprised to see that happen in quick time frame.

Terreos and hmscott like this.
  9. Terreos

Reputations:
    If that's the case it would be nice if they let you know that ahead of time. Been into customizing pc and laptops for years and until today networking has always been working or not working. Really not something I thought needed tweaked. Guess I've been lucky for a long time.

That would be discouraging for a someone who doesn't even know about what kind of wifi card is in there laptop. I just looked on the box for this machine and it has everything about it, but no mention of the wifi card. And then being told to reinstall the software would be really frustrating since like you said it needs tweaked to work best out of the box.

Though I noticed the Killer updates there software alot so atleast it's encouraging to see that.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You just need to do the tweaks once in windows and those persist even after complete uninstall. Only Clean install of Windows will revert to default factory settings.
    I think Anthony from @Killer_Networking can take this as a feedback for product improvement.

Killer_Networking and hmscott like this.