Killer N1525 Wireless-AC

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Oct 7, 2014.

1. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can't find much information about this AC wireless card that's in the newly announced MSI GS60 Pro w/Nvidia GTX970M.

Anyone have info they'd like to share?

Haven't found the card for sale anyplace yet.

EDIT:
    Found Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 N1525 Wireless-AC drivers
    http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

2. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any ideas if it has the NGFF M.2 form factor or mini-pcie? Also, U.FL type or MHF connector? This isn't listed yet on Wikidevi.

3. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    I should have one in my hands shortly.

It's M.2 so it will go in my MSI GS60 where an Intel M.2 AC-7260NGW now resides.

4. untarded

untarded Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you get this card yet? Where did you get it? I'm also having the wifi dropout issue on my gs60 and desperate to find another option.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I have one in the MSI GT72 I'm reviewing. I'll be sure to put it to the test. I am not real fond of my 7260 AC card either in my Clevo. It's good for file transfers and such, but for gaming it sucks.

6. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Not yet.

It's being pulled from a new model that has it as stock since they're not available separately.

My AC-7260NGW works well except after waking from sleep where all connections are lost and no networks available is reported

If you got your GS60 from a reseller that customizes like Gentech and Power Notebooks then give them a call and ask for an N!525 when they have one available but may be better to wait and see what people say that have tested one with network file transfers,Internet connectivity, and any sleep issues.

The concern I have is about immature drivers.like we suffered through in the early 7260 releases.

The Killer driver for the N1525 is the 1st supporting AC while Intel has had a year and a half of AC-7260 driver developing

BTW,I haven't seen any Intel M.2 AC-7265NGW cards for sale either.

7. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    The Killer N1525 Wireless-AC arrived in the mail late this afternoon.

I took out the Intel M.2 AC-7260NGW from the MSI GS60 notebook and put in the N1525.

Install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Technical Preview followed by the Killer 1.1.47.1374 suite.

This notebook also has the Killer E2200 Lan.

No benchmarks yet.Tomorrow is Saturday and should be plenty of time to do some testing.

The attachments show:
    The Killer Network Manager
    N1525 Front
    N1525 Back
    N1525 next to Intel M.2 AC-7260NGW(N1525 much smaller)
    N1525 installed in MSI GS60

EDIT:If you take a close look at the upper left corner of the N1525 you'll see a place reserved for a 3rd antenna on the PCB.

Attached Files:

bense, Sen7inel and MrPromaster like this.
  8. untarded

untarded Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you experience the wifi dropout issue with the Intel card when using the the Nvidia gpu? Updated Intel drivers and an expensive new AC router didn't resolve it for me.

Does the Killer card have bluetooth?

Unfortunately, I purchased my gs60 at a TigerDirect and didn't discover the resellers here until I started searching for a fix for the wifi issue and none of them will sell me one of these Killer cards:(

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    So far the 1525 is pretty amazing. I am getting 60MB/sec solid transfer with a 4GB ISO file, compared with varying 30-40MB/sec with Intel 7230. Gaming is very solid as well with no noticeable lag or dropouts like I get with my Intel. From what I've seen on the GT72, I'm sold on going with this Killer card. Granted the one in the GT72 is M.2 and not mini PCIe, but not sure if that would really matter. Just that they seem to be OEM only at the moment. Hopefully we'll find some reseller that will provide them. My next laptop will be equipped with one if I can get ahold of one.

MrPromaster likes this.
  10. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Same here.

Transferring a Windows 8.1 ISO file to and from my desktop pc I'm getting an average 55 MB/s.measured with TeraCopy.

I'll be testing with a few other apps next.

I'm also not getting any disconnects when coming out of sleep after several hours with the lid closed.

The Intel AC-7260NGW would have link speed fluctuations between 520 Mbps and 866.7 Mbps from this same location while this newly installed N1525 is no budging from 866.7 Mbps.

One issue I encountered installing the 1.1.14.1374 Suite on Windows 10 Technical Preview.was the Bluetooth showed up as AR3012 instead of QCA61x4.

If I install the stand alone BT driver 1st before the wireless driver all is well.

I paired my Nexus 5 smartphone and a Logitech BT mouse in Windows 8.1 and the Windows 10 Tech Preview without any problems.

Kommando and HTWingNut like this.