Killer AX1650 vs Intel AX200NGW - Which wifi card?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by zeth006, Aug 23, 2019.

?

Which wifi card?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2019.
  1. Killer AX1650

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intel AX200NGW

100.0%
  1. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    Title. They're both about the same price on Amazon. Which would you guys recommend over the other?

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    in hardware, they are both the same card, the 1650 is based on the intel 200. the 1650 just uses a different software package. i opted for the intel 200 because of easier sourcing and lower pricing.

tilleroftheearth and zeth006 like this.
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Intel AX200. I have the Killer AX1650, you don't get anything useful from it, unless if you have a Killer Ethernet NIC. I also ordered an Intel AX200 to replace the Killer card that came with my laptop.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    getting annoyed by the killer software suite? :p haha

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I was okay with it at first, but after removing the software suite, I noticed I have much more stable download speeds, and my streaming doesn't collide with downloading, anymore. I then removed the software using the appropriate methods. These methods worked up until several days ago, when Windows Update forced the software back onto my computer, and the blocking process ceased to work again.

Having experience the "Killer" software suite, I am now much more sympathetic to complaints against it, especially since it's just corrupting a perfectly good Intel card.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Always intel, they are far more competent than Killer is when it comes to networking. Intel made the card, I trust intel knows how to write drivers for it. Killer 1103 and killer 1535 I’ve owned, both were terrible and replaced with proper high end intel cards with no regrets.

tilleroftheearth and jaybee83 like this.
  7. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Killer makes 0 WiFi cards or drivers, both hardware and driver aspects come from the actual manufacturers Qualcomm for the 1535/1435 (rebranded QCA6174A) and Intel for the 1550 (aka Intel 9260ac) and 1650 (Intel AX200/201). Intel it seems does provide newer drivers on occasion to Killer before officially releasing it for the AX200, probably using Killer consumers as guinea pigs lol.

Only product Killer makes in house is that atrocious QoS software. Causes more issues than it’s worth. Also kinda pointless if you look at their test case scenarios to prop up their QoS software with like multiple video streams, downloads and a game running at the same time along with other stuff. I mean who does all that while playing a game, most don’t. Windows does a half decent job by itself honestly.

Just get the AX200, that way no auto installation through Windows Update of the Killer nonsense and no need to do extra work by installing the Killer blocking driver which at times has failed to “block” the Killer software package. Even after uninstalling you need to use a separate Killer uninstaller to remove residual files and I believe one running service, this is based on recent experience. Only reason I got the 1650 was because it was the only way to get an AX200 when it was first released. My recent purchases since then have been the actual AX200.

While people may argue over various things in tech like SSDs etc, dislike for Killer really brings people together lol.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Every time I get a laptop with killer wifi card, I always delete their killer programs.

jaybee83 likes this.