Killer AX1650 Info And Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Apr 27, 2019.

1. CataIin

CataIin Newbie

Reputations:
    There's a very thick concrete wall in between.

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not everyone’s test environment is the same, a lot of things can impact range/performance. (Routers and their locations, to build materials, to other electronics near AP)

My house for example is mostly wood/drywall interior so even with the router in the top floor (2nd floor) I can get excellent speeds and signal even in the basement.

Similarly a family friend with granite flooring and concrete walls gets massive signal attenuation especially on 5Ghz with much lower speeds. 5Ghz is more sensitive to obstructions than 2.4 GHz in general.

Ultra Male likes this.
  3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ah,Important information left out of post.

When I resided in the land of the morning calm all residential construction was reinforced concrete,no wood or sheet rock..

The ROK had great and cheap Internet service with most newly constructed high rise apartment buildings having central wiring(no modem needed) just R45 jack wall outlet.

In the room with the router I could get -10dbm and with concrete walls between I'd still get -20s.This was more than 5 years ago.

We pay a lot and get little in return here.

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    got our 2 intel ax200 in today :) installation was a straight swap and driver update, currently testing bandwidth.

also gonna check and see if there are any differences between the two chips haha ;) wifi adapter binning anyone? :D

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

5. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Here'a a link to my Mediafire account file for Intel WiFi driver 21.20.0.1 if anyone wants to try it.

The files were part of a Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18898

I've been using it since it came out.

There's no setup exe file so you'll need to update through device manager/update driver and point the installation to the unzipped folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hnse5xtx3kp0ude/21.20.0.1.zip/file

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Ultra Male, jaybee83 and downloads like this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    any differences in performance based on the new drivers?

ok, so my first conclusions so far:

unfortunately, my router (linksys EA8100) doesnt support 160 Mhz channels, so im stuck at 80 Mhz ac and thus 867 Mbps max throughput. sitting right next to the router my previous 7265ac was getting around 450-460 Mbps whereas the AX200 sits at around 500-510 Mbps (tested via speedtest.net). so only a difference of around 9-13%.

however, sitting at my desk in the office, which is abouuut.... 10-12 meters down the hall from the living room with the router and through the wall the throughput has massively improved by about 40-45%. previously with my 7265 i was getting around 240-250 Mbit, now with the AX200 that rose to 350-360 Mbit, me likes :)

still, after this im considering getting a powerline adapter set to finally get that gigabit throughput to my laptop! :p :D

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  7. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    For me the biggest boost came when Rivet Networks(killernetworking)released driver version 21.10.1.2 on May 7th.

The driver versions that I've used that are more recent have stabilized fluctuations a bit with each new release but nothing to shout about.

The WiFi 6 router is the big improvement dealing with range to my devices furthest from the router in the far end of my one level townhouse.Not a lot but enough to notice.

Ultra Male likes this.
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    btw guys, powerline adapters are NOT a direct replacement for direct ethernet connection! i got myself a set of adapters advertized for "up to 2000 Mbps" and also got two Cat7 ethernet cables to be on the safe side (rated up to 10Gbps) and the results were VERY disappointing to say the least....

throughput of 120 Mbps o_O returning these and sticking to wifi via the AX200, that at least nets me 350 Mbit of my 1Gbps connection :p

Vasudev likes this.
  9. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations: