Killer AX1650 Info And Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Kursem

Kursem Newbie

Reputations:
    does Killer AX1650 is better in terms of features than Intel AX200? I check on online site and AX1650's price are twice AX200. I'm still a student so money's tight but I could afford AX1650 if it's worth it.

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope, same card same drivers, occasionally newer Intel drivers are on Killer’s site but you obviously can use those the AX200 as it’s the same card. Only difference is the 1650x allows you to install the atrocious Killer Software suite with their QoS features which is better off kept uninstalled as their QoS can cause more harm than good.

jeremyshaw, Kursem and downloads like this.
  3. Kursem

Kursem Newbie

Reputations:
    alright, thanks for the advice. I'll just get Intel AX200, then.

Dennismungai likes this.
  4. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you have Killer Ethernet or Wifi adapter in your PC Windows updates will keep installing the Rivet Networks software even if you don't want it.

Disabling it in the task manager is necessary.

I've asked on Windows feedback a few times why the software is not an optional install and get no reply.

Yes,the AX200 is a better choice but the Killer AX1650 was available to early adapters on Amazon before the Intel AX200 could be obtained and in your hands.

A quality WiFi 6 router is also an important piece of an upgrade/update to AX but not fully necessary.A WiFi 5 router like the excellent Netgear R7800 will work with the AX200 nearly as good.

5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Not if you do this bro. After installing the blocking Driver, I never get any Killer extensions, services, or app installed through Windows update or the store. I do this as soon as I format but you can also do it afterwards if one has already had them force fed to him through Windows Update.
    2019-08-02_001821.png

6. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Yes,I agree that the uninstall software works well when installed of a fresh clean Windows but not so much when it's put on an older installation.

I've often gotten an "unable to install' message so in those instances it's been easier to stop the service in the task manager.

Now I've made it a priority to do on all my clean installs that I probably do more than most Windows users.

Spartan likes this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I've had that message too saying unable to install blocking driver but after a few reboots, somehow, it magically worked.

WhatsThePoint likes this.
  8. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Today's Insider Preview build had Intel Wireless driver version 21.40.0.1 included.

I extracted the file from my computer and uploaded the files to my Mediafire account linked below

There is no exe file so unpack the zip file and update your present driver in device manager

EDIT:removed link,driver not working well

EDIT #2:driver works,problem on one drive was a problem on my end.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zx6vutoz4t9qdmq/21.40.0.1.zip/file

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    jaybee83 and Spartan like this.
  9. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    I hope that the Intel wireless driver 21.40.0.1 is working for all that opted to download and try it.

My experience with it has been mixed.

A new MSI GS75 with an Intel 9560ac works well using 21.40.0.1 on the 2 NVMe SSDs installed running Windows 10 Home x64 and Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1903

A desktop PC with a Killer AX1650 in PCI-e adapter 21.40.0.1 is working on all 4 SSDs installed using Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1903 and newest Insider Preview builds

An MSI GS60 2PL(2014 model) with a Killer AX1650 does not connect on both SSDs installed on all Windows 10 versions tested.Both drives have no trouble connecting when wireless driver 21.30.3.2 is installed.
    Version 21.40.0.1 is the 1st version that has failed to work on the GS60.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    jaybee83 and Spartan like this.
  10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The uninstaller and blocker no longer works. WU pushes a mandatory Rivet Networks package that reinstalls the Killer Network package (at least the services and two other items). Running the uninstaller again, just temporarily removes the junk, installs the blocker, only for the next WU to reinstall it all again.