Killer 1550i

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Lunatik, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Well even if you wanna use the Windows Store and the Killer app gets auto installed, simply uninstall it and use O&O ShutUp10 to prevent suggested apps from the Windows Store to install although for the first time it seems to slip away and still install but after you uninstall it, it's gone.

2. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will the wireless show as killer in device manager even with the Intel drivers? Mine auto installs as killer after reboot.
    No I'm not connected to the internet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Huh? there are no Killer or Intel Drivers! the drivers for the Killer 1550 are from Intel. Period. They work on the Killer because it is an Intel card with a rebadged name. It will show as Killer still in device manager with a 9260 in parentheses if my memory serves me correctly but that means nothing. It's the same exact card as the Intel 9260.

See this comment too: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/killer-wireless-ac-1550-review.814190/page-41#post-10845363

4. Yu Juin Kuan

Yu Juin Kuan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you guys recommend upgrading to intel or keep the killer?

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Read the thread, what does it tell you? [​IMG]

or lemme spoon feed it to you...

We said that the Killer 1550 and Intel 9260 are the same exact card, only the Killer one is rebadged with the Killer name and in turn, if you have it in your system, it will install the Killer Software automatically without your consent which no one needs.

Verdict: Get the Intel!

[​IMG]

6. Yu Juin Kuan

Yu Juin Kuan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, my bad. Was still confused between the two, but thanks for the reply.

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    No problem my friend.

8. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just shake my head in disbelief with what I've read from some posts in this thread.

I've owned awful wireless cards from Realtek and Intel that I replaced with Killer cards or better Intel cards.

My 1525 was one of my best ever.I never owned or used a 1535.

I'll bet most of you that are saying bad things about the Killer 1550 know far more about under volting and overclocking CPU and GPU than about wireless connectivity.

I have a 1550 in a PCIe adapter in a desktop built on an MSI Z370 gaming mainboard and in a 5 year old MSI GS60.The Killer 1550 works super well in both the desktop and notebook.

I pair the 1550 with a Netgear R7800 router using 5ghz channels 36-48 and get theoretical data speeds of up to the 1,733.3 Mbps limit while averaging 1,300 Mbps.
    I have 200 Mbps Internet service that speedtests at 260Mbps.
    Files sent across devices on the home network client to client or to attached storage reach over 120 MB/s

I also own an Intel 9260.

It's my intention to upgrade both Killer 1550 with Killer AX cards once I'm able to secure them.

Visit the Networking forum and ask for help if you need it.

Run a DNS speed test and use the Pv4 and Pv6 secure ones for privacy and speed.

Good wireless home networking takes a lot more than wishing it so.

Put the same amount of effort in your wireless as you do in other part of your system and see the difference.

9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I personally only dealt with killer cards in my recent MSI laptops, and my only problem was the control center or software itself, not the hardware nor drivers. I do agree we could all learn more about other aspects of our machines, and personally I am very ignorant when comparing wireless cards, and if possible almost always try to use wired connection.

What do you suggest I can use to learn more about wireless cards?

10. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    A few clarifications and corrections:

The issue with the adapter not appearing in Device Manager after the machine is suspended is usually due to an outdated BIOS. The BIOS is responsible for powering the machine back up from sleep, including each individual component so, if your wireless device is missing upon return from sleep, this will be a BIOS issue. Make sure the BIOS is up to date and, if you still encounter the same problem, report it to the machine manufacturer. Chipset drivers can also play a part, so make sure your chipset drivers are up to date from the machine manufacturer's support page or, if you have an older machine, you might have better luck using chipset drivers from the chipset manufacturer directly (probably Intel).

The Windows Store does not automatically install the Killer Control Center. If the Killer Control Center is installed automatically, it is through Windows Update, and was pushed by the machine or motherboard manufacturer. We do not push updates through any service, as most of our users prefer to update when they choose to do so. However, we cannot control when our hardware partners decide to push a version of the Killer Control Center through Windows Update. This is why we developed a "stub" driver to block Windows Update downloads of the Killer Control Center. If that's how you want to go, you can find the guide for that here - https://www.killernetworking.com/ki...how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-killer-control-center.

You are correct in that we do not remove all registry entries. This is because unnecessary deleting of registry keys can be problematic, so we only remove the keys that can affect performance. We prefer to be very conservative to edits we make with your registry.

All that said, there are many people who swear by the Killer Control Center, and the latency difference is pretty obvious when playing just about any real-time online game. Of course, most of what you see on public forums are complaints, because that's just how the Internet works. The Killer Control Center orders the packets leaving your machine by priority, causing latency-sensitive applications and services to return first, resulting in a cumulative effect of reduced latency. This can reduce latency no matter how fast your Internet is, as Internet speed and latency are not the same thing.

I would suggest anyone with a Killer adapter try their favorite online game with an updated version of the Killer Control Center installed, and then see for themselves if there is a difference.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Bobbert9, ryzeki and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.