Killer 1550i

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Lunatik, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Noticed all of the new MSI rtx laptops come with the Killer 1550i wifi card, is killer still a no go? I know they used to drop signal all the time just trying to figure out if thats still the case. Hopefully HIDevolution allows a upgrade to the intel brand.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    They usually do allow upgrades of the wireless cards on all models. I wouldn't touch a Killer product with a 10 foot pole! If you have a Killer product, the moment you get online the Windows Store app will install the Killer so called Performance App for you to help you limit bandwidth of certain apps and give priority to others! No thanks! Leave my freakin' connection alone! That's why we have fast internet.

Bobbert9 likes this.
  3. Lunatik

Reputations:
    Exactly, I emailed Donald asking so well see, I’ll report back what he says. I could probably open it up and swap it myself but I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GT75 it sits above the battery, easy access.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Lunatik

Reputations:
    Think I’m going with the GE75, don’t want the i9 or two power bricks. Watched a teardown of a ge73(similar chassis) looks pretty easy however I’d rather have it done before I get it.

6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the card is manufactured by Intel anyway, just has the killer software on it. Removing the network manager and doing a driver only install (per Killer's site, they actually have instructions to do so) should still be an option if it causes trouble.

Or I read somewhere that turning off a setting in that software effectively erases all the problems with it but I haven't had my hands on a problem one to test if that's accurate.

7. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine came with the Killer 1435, earlier version, however all I have installed is the driver and no software. I keep the Windows Store closed but it's still installed, so maybe it doesn't look at the older card cause nothing new has come up. I do however have an issue where the Killer Networks card doesn't come back after the laptop suspends/sleeps. I have to shut down and restart (soft reboot won't do it.) Not a big issue but other than that I've never dropped connection or had any other problems so far. The only other option is an Intel card, right? I've heard good and bad on those too so who knows? @Ultra Male has done extensive troubleshooting on these cards and has a review in here.

Ultra Male likes this.
  8. Lunatik

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male gave his opinion above

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm using the Intel 9260 and I have 2 other Killer 1550 cards in the drawer. They are the same chipset, with the same driver, but you don't get the Killer BS apps automatically installed if you have the Intel! that's the major plus point.

Bobbert9 likes this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    My issue with the Killer software is unlike in the past where you had to install the Killer Performance Suite to have it, now it gets auto installed through the Windows Store like a freakin' virus or something if you have any LAN or WLAN card in your system that says Killer in it. Hence why I would go Intel every time even though the WLAN cards are the same for now.

My other gripe is yes I can uninstall it, but it leaves registry entries behind and needs manual cleanup.