Key Board Repair

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Waldeck, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Waldeck

Waldeck Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have just got a CF-19 mk6. It has an issue with the left Shift button on a lighted board. It has to be pressed very hard to make contact, I have messed up a couple of password call's. I'm using the right Shift button at the moment but my brain has a problem coping. Can I remove the button to see if there is any thing under it?

2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    UNCNDL1 and Shawn like this.
  3. Waldeck

Reputations:
    Ok thanks Sheepman, so I have to remove the key board first?

No the key does not feel crunchy, just solid, hard to push down. So hard in fact you can see the board flex.

4. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not difficult to remove a key, but I guess chances to solve your problem are low. I have 2 dead (drown) backlit keyboards and there is no way to open it.

5. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What operating system are you running on your new to you 19?
    You might be able to utilize an on screen keyboard in Linux and Windows if you don't want to tackle your sticky key.
    Other options include using an external keyboard with or without a docking station.
    Wireless keyboards work also if you have blue tooth.

6. unclemack

unclemack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's a YouTube video "How to Replace Panasonic Toughbook Keys" should have what you need.

7. unclemack

Reputations:
    I just watched the video & it doesn't show how to remove a key, probably because the original is broken off at the click-locks/barb-locks. They're tiny and fragile.
    I'd probably try sticking some double sided tape to it and then stick my thumb to the tape to lift it gently while working the key gently sideways/up/down to try and release the tiny barbs, rather than poke around blindly with a screwdriver.
    I think the usual reason for replacing keys will be broken barb locks so lots of care will be needed.
    Mine usually just have breakfast/lunch/dinner/other crap trapped under a key so I use a compressed air blow gun - I cover the key with a ruler on edge to stop it blowing away with the pressure.

8. unclemack

Reputations:
    Looked again at the video and best guess is push the key gently upwards towards the Caps Lock and then lift the top edge first.
    Installing keys the video shows inserting the bottom edge first then pressing down.

9. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I've done it with keyboard installed.

The key will flex up a tiny bit. I put a tiny screwdriver under the front of the key. (the side nearest the handle.) Gently now....blindly try to get under the crossbar to flex it out of the pivots by rotating the screwdriver 90 degrees.

If you break the tabs on the keyboard then that's a problem.

Do it on a practice board a few times.

Hard to explain.

10. Waldeck

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, I will play with it in a few days. I have Win10 1909 on it UNCNDL1. I think I may just get a new board in a month or 2, spent a bit to much over the last few weeks, good job for the tax return:rolleyes:.
    When I get a new one I will play with this one, I'll have a few spare keys!