Kevin Shroff's Modded Realtek Audio Drivers for Dell XPS 15 9560 (and more?)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by shamuofficial, Jul 18, 2017.

1. cmspooner

cmspooner Newbie

Reputations:
    I love the idea of these custom drivers but I have found that if I plug in then unplug headphones they are not recognized when I re-plug them in. Sound continues to play out of the main speakers. If I logout and log back in it is fine.

Detailed Test 1:
    Log-in with head phones connected
    Test sound using notification: sound comes though headphones - Good
    Unplug Headphones
    Test sound using notification: sound comes though speakers - Good
    Plug in Headphones
    Test sound using notification: sound comes though Speakers - BAD!

Detailed Test 2:
    Log-in with head phones not connected
    Plug in Headphones
    Test sound using notification: sound comes though headphones - Good
    Unplug Headphones
    Plug in Headphones
    Test sound using notification: sound comes though Speakers - BAD!

Please let me know if this is something on my end; I am going to try to re-install the drivers again and will post my results.

2. cmspooner

cmspooner Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to double post but I tried the instructions in the main post (vs. the ones zipped in the folder that I tried first) and had the same issue so I've gone back to the dell drivers...and the stupid maxWaves Pop-up! Hoping a new version comes out to fix my issue.

3. shamuofficial

shamuofficial Newbie

Reputations:
    Follow the instructions over at the reddit post - it has been updated multiple times since:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6nt3ch/kevin_shroffs_modded_realtek_audio_drivers_for/

4. AceOfDaves

AceOfDaves Newbie

Reputations:
    Apologies in advance that this question will reveal my ignorance of audio routing in Windows.

I think that I have successfully installed the driver (device manager shows realtek driver is 6.0.1.8105 and "not digitally signed"). There is no Realtek system tray icon or popup on headphone insertion.

That said, when I flip the output between "DS: Primary Sound Driver" and "WASAPI" in Foobar, there is a night and day difference in the sound.

Is this to be expected? Is this just Windows' own brand of post-processing that I can hear? Or have I done a bad job of installing your modified driver?

WASAPI works just fine so there's no real problem: the phenomenon just piqued my interest about Windows sound in general.

Thanks!

5. skip129

skip129 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this - I'm hoping it will solve a problem where I have excessive audio latency for real time music applications.
    I seem to be having a problem disabling secure boot though. I have disabled it in the BIOS, but when attempt to set TESTSIGNING to ON, I get this error:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    An error has occurred setting the element data.
    The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.

Any ideas? My system is a 9560.

EDIT: Got it to work. However, it does NOT fix the latency problem. The generic Microsoft High Definition Audio Device does in fact fix the latency. The fact that Kevin's modified driver does not (noticably) reduce the latency, suggests that the latency is not being introduced by MaxxAudio.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018