Kaspersky or Nod32

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by taelrak, May 18, 2007.

?

Best Antivirus?

1. Kaspersky 6

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Nod32 2.7

60 vote(s)
    64.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathyaterry

sathyaterry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Isnt zone alarm really bloated and slows down ur pc greatly..? a friend of mine uses it and it has slowed down his pc drastically..

2. taelrak

taelrak Lost

Reputations:
    Zonealarm Internet Security uses Kaspersky 6.0 for its AV.

It actually slowed down my computer a bit too, but not anywhere near as bad as Norton. Overall I liked it...I can't quite remember why I decided not to use it after the free trial though...

3. skywalker

skywalker Business Notebook FTW!!

Reputations:
    I dont like ZoneAlarm, if you would like to use Internet Security, try Kaspersky Internet Security.

4. cypher909

cypher909 Newbie

Reputations:
    I vote NOD32. Here's a repost from another thread:

I have an old computer. If something hogs too much resources I will instantly notice a slow down, so a smooth, clean, quick AV is a must for me. I've been running AVG for years and it works great. It seems to run a tiny bit faster on this machine than NOD32, but such a small amount that it doesn't make a difference.

Kaspersky - First off I didn't like its layout that much. It didn't seem very user friendly, but that's not a problem as long as it does what it's suppose to do.

The first thing I noticed was a major slow down from AVG. I keep hearing how people call it light on resources, it hogged a ton more than AVG and with a lower end computer such as mine the slow down was unacceptable. It was actually only marginally faster than McAfee which was a real disappointment. It does have a high detection rate so if you have a high end machine and/or can handle the slow down, go for it.

The other thing about Kaspersky is it will not leave you alone. I'm sure you can change it in the settings somewhere, but it continuously spammed me with "____ program is doing _____... do you want to allow it?" and other such messages.

I ran a complete scan which was very smooth and it found nothing.

NOD32 - I like the layout a lot. It was very easy to use, but again when picking an AV that means nothing to me.

I was amazed at how little resources it uses. It idles at 2 to 4 MB. It didn't increase my boot time at all as far as I could tell when Kaspersky had increased it quite a bit. It was basically the same as running AVG. Very smooth, light, and quick. My old system can handle it easily. Like Kaspersky, NOD32 also has a very high detection rate, but without all the annoyances.

I ran a complete scan with NOD32 and it was the only one that caught the key logger I had installed that both AVG and Kaspersky had missed. It also CAUGHT 2 OTHER VIRUSES that I didn't even know I had. The scan wasn't quite as smooth as Kaspersky. It did take about 20% longer, but I'll trade that off for actually finding viruses.

I'm really happy I found this thread and tested those two out. I will definitely go with Eset NOD32 next time I buy an AV, but for now when my 30 day trial runs out I'll head back to AVG. It's done a good job of saving my but plenty of times in the past.

PS. Just for the record, I do a lot of browsing at random and sometimes very sketchy sites.

5. Murdoc

Murdoc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nod32. I was skeptical when my friend first told me about Nod32 although I have seen that brand before as its software is being sold at retail stores. I started using Norton at first but it has been agreed by majority that the software is too much of a memory hog and it's "too secure". I took the next step and found AVG which at that time I found was extremely resource friendly and provided me with a simple enough to use interface (although not beautiful, but it works) and the best part was "it's free". However, my computer gradually slowed down and I wonder what was happening. Weird things started happening to my computer and I suspect a virus maybe undetected. I tried also kaspersky but noticed that it is way more resource demanding than AVG (although not as bad as Norton). When my computer was doing scans with Kaspersky my music player (Winamp) would lag and movies would not be as smooth (I have p4 2.4 ghz processor w/ 1 GB ram and running XP). Although it detected the virus (which AVG missed), it still fail to out perform nod32. I downloaded a virus on purpose just to test to see if it could detect it. Both AVG and Kaspersky completely missed the file while Nod32 caught it and requested to submit it to their virus control center for further examination. When I installed Nod32, I was expecting a bloat ware and to my surprise it was smooth. Even though it was running at lightning speed (which I would expect CPU resource hog), I didn't feel that a scan was going on when playing music or movies. I liked its heuristics scanning which monitors programs I download to even websites I visit seemlessly which both Kaspersky and AVG did not have. Nod32 had constant updates (way more than Kaspersky and AVG). Infact, it there are 2-4 updates per a day and the software would instantly download the latest updates. Again, both avg and kaspersky failed to do this.

On a whole Interface for Nod32 was easy to get used to. Their memory and cpu process power usage were kept mininal. They also have frequent updates (that automatically download and install without restarting the software or windows in any way). I guess this makes Nod32 the winner :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.