Kaspersky or Nod32

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by taelrak, May 18, 2007.

?

Best Antivirus?

1. Kaspersky 6

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Nod32 2.7

60 vote(s)
    64.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taelrak

taelrak Lost

Reputations:
    This has probably been debated over and over again, but what's your opinion of Kaspersky 6 AV vs Nod32 2.7 (or whatever it's up to now)?

My impression is, the latest version of Kaspersky isn't the huge slow bloated thing that previous versions were--and it's exceedingly good at detecting known viruses, but horrible at heuristics.

Nod32 is great at heuristics (comparatively), but not so good at removing other viruses and malware. Also isn't very bloated.

So, which is better?

2. Techneaux

Techneaux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try AntiVIR.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/comparatives.html
    Scores better than NOD32 and Kaspersky in virus detection... other people on this forum seem to consider that site very reliable.

Also I believe that site shows that AntiVIR has same heuristics scanning capabilities of NOD32 (and both much better than Kaspersky).

3. kosh

kosh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been usig nod32 in my desktop for some years and works very well, and it is very fast

4. Evolution

Evolution Vox Sola

Reputations:
    You said Kaspersky but if you mean Kaspersky Internet Security and not just Kaspersky antivirus then I would advise anyone to get that over Nod32. This is because the internet security has a firewall, spyware blocking tools etc currently it is one of the top rated internet security suites out there (I think only zonealarm beats it). Kaspersky antivirus on its own is a very good antivirus but I gave up a long time ago the idea of having separate antivirus and firewall programs only internet security suites for me!
    I have been using Kaspersky Internet security for a long time now, and no kaspersky's antivirus products are no longer "bloated", actually it is quite fast, updates several times a day and uses very little resources :).

5. zarono

zarono Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    NoD 32 all the way.

6. taelrak

taelrak Lost

Reputations:
    To clarify, I'm only referring to antivirus, and not internet security suites. Along the same line as above - what is more useful, being able to track almost all known viruses, or being able to detect potentially dangerous new viruses with heuristics?

7. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a good question. Think about it this way. If your anti-virus software is great at detecting potentially dangerous threats and it never fails, would you need a virus scanner? No. However, that's only in theory. What about viruses you obtained before installing the anti-virus software?

Also, it works the other way around. If your anti-virus software just scans for viruses, they might have time to do some damage before they're found.

Ideally, you want to prevent them, not eliminate them after you've gotten them. Unfortunately, there is no anti-virus software that can guarantee it'll catch everything. Therefore, the conclusion is to either trust an anti-virus program that prevents viruses or get one of each type of software.

This is only my take on things, though.

Matt

8. Fade To Black

Fade To Black The Bad Ass

Reputations:
    In my opinion Kaspersky, because it will soon get updated to a new version (7) with a great heuristics engine, better than NOD's in my opinion. Also, there's a similar resource use. Why not test them both on your laptop?
    AntiVir is the only free reliable AV in terms of virus detection.

9. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everytime I was experimenting with antiviruses which use Kaspersky engine, it lead to a mess on my test system. Fortunately, I was ready for it.

There are reasons to mistrust this software based on the origin of KAV.

I also noticed that F-secure lists in its data base some specific viruses which
    attack only machines with non-russian keyboard. Try to find those listed in KAV database.

Recent politically motivated cyberattacks originated from Russia on one of the NATO memberstates on the Baltic Sea have involved more than 1.000.000 computers worldwide. I am just guessing if the naive customers of KAV are not among those zobmied PCs.

-

10. Evolution

Evolution Vox Sola

Reputations:
    Why did you give me negative rep for simply stating my OPINION ?:confused: :mad: Quote from Ivar (kaspersky is russian spyware)

This is your opinion that you have drawn up from a GUESS!!! Kaspersky does absolutely nothing to my system to "mess it up" as you have claimed and believe me I know my computer very well and if something suspicious was going on I would have seen it long ago :rolleyes: . Have you even used a recent version of their product to be able to make such outlandish claims? Also remember this was a pole I can vote for whatever I want!

I work really hard to help people out on these forums and I don't give them any bad information, I usually think long and hard before I post something just to make sure that it can help anyone who needs it. But you are just guessing here and nothing else!

I wonder the other people who voted for kaspersky did you give them negative rep to ? I hope someone sees this and realized what happened here, I was penalized for simply stating my opinion in a pole...