Kaby Lake Rocks!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by JKnows, Aug 30, 2016.

?

Are you upgrading to Kaby Lake?

1. No

2. Yes, from Broadwell / Skylake

3. Yes, from Ivy Bridge / Haswell

4. Yes, from Arrandale / Sandy Bridge

5. Yes, from AMD

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recent review from Notebookcheck shows very decent performance and efficiency improvement, maybe the biggest between the generations in the last 7 years. Finally the generation that we are waiting for?

[​IMG]

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Quad-core ULVs finally! Guess the time has come to upgrade my T734 to i7 quad, to be on par. =p

3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's too bad that Kaby Lakes weren't ready to go when Pascal launched. I'm missing out on it by a few months by buying a laptop now. Oh well.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Going to have to wait and see that the linux support is decent before getting a new motherboard for it, will also need ram.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought Microsoft owned Intel and AMD now... only Windows 10 will run?

Papusan likes this.
  6. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hope not, If it will not run Windows 7, I stay with Skylake. Little undervolting, I have the same efficiency :). Maybe I'll buy Macbook with Kaby...

hmscott likes this.
  7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I hope the OP is misplacing his sarcasm because Kaby Lake looks underwhelming. 10 to 15% increase over skylake. Here's hoping AMD does something...just something to force Intel's hand.

Ars look at Kaby Lake.

hmscott likes this.
  8. JKnows

Reputations:
    But why? When we have seen last time such a performance increase? In Winrar even 22%! And it is against Skylake, which was also significantly better than previous generations.

9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Here's a quote from the article on Arstechnica on Kaby Lake

CPU and GPU speed improvements come mostly from clock speed increases rather than architectural improvements, as they did in the Haswell refresh. Intel promises 12- to 19-percent better CPU performance over Skylake chips sold at the same price...Intel claims “double-digit” GPU performance improvements in the Y-series parts and 8- to 10-percent improvements in the U-series parts.

Even the reported Kaby Lake K series isn't much of an improvement over the Skylake K series according to guru3d. It isn't until next year when Cannonlake and the 200 series chipset arrives when we will see explosive change.

10. JKnows

Reputations:
    I don't know what Cannonlake will bring, maybe just the same performance with lower power consumption. But this Kaby Lake is real deal, even 22% CPU performance increase! Whatever it is just clock speed increase or IPC.
    Anyway I disagree with article on Arstechnica, especially with the GPU part. HD Graphics 620 still equipped with just 24 Execution units, the clocks did not change! And the gaming performance is 20-30 percent higher on average. That is awesome and it is architectural improvements.

Imagine undervolting Kaby Lake ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.