K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. haymanali2006

haymanali2006 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. liquiz

liquiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I've tried to upgrade my a4-3300m processor to a8-3520m, but when i put this processor, nothing happens (i see only black screen, nothing more). I have 214 bios version.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is it a known working processor?

4. liquiz

liquiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes. I've bought it a few days ago on ebay for $15. The seller said that processor is working properly.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    I don't see a problem of using it on the system due to identical architecture and TDP wattage, so without being able to verify the processor you got it's hard to confirm.

6. atoneapone

atoneapone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not trying to wake this thread, but Since this laptop is nearing its final days for most people or already long gone,
    I just made a post about Useful Archival Info about this Old Laptop >> (for those still installing it from the ground up)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/k53ta-the-best-deal-ever-could-be.601808/page-494

-My laptop is still working almost like new, since I have not been using it much past 3 or 4 years (mostly just using an old Intel 3rd gen i5 Desktop keeping wear & tear off this old laptop; I'm sure others are using more advanced ryzen and Intel 8th gen computers now..lol)
    -I thought of changing the CPU to that AMD A8 3520 for under $15, but thought it would be too much trouble. So passed & kept my old orginal tried and true AMD A6 3400.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Wow, it's still beating. :)
    Don't upgrade the processor because you won't feel much difference. Perhaps get a SSD instead?

8. atoneapone

atoneapone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes it's alive!! This thread & most of our laptops are definitely like frankenstein..making noise right before Halloween too.
    I put a cheap $29 PNY 128GB SSD 3 months ago, and It boots up in 30-45 seconds.
    I also kept the original 500gb in the dvd caddy drive bay with the original OS installed on it. So I cloned the OS to the SSD. But also kept the old HDD OS install in case my SSD bites the dust within a year--I can just swop the original hdd back in if that happens.
    PNY has bad reviews on this lower end SSD cs900. I probably should have gone with a better SSD/brand, but I was trying to spend as little as possible.
    So far so good, but we'll see. I'll probably buy a better SSD if it goes bad.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    kvasir119 and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  9. vovka1981

vovka1981 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my K53TA lives just fine, with latest W10 and Ubuntu 18-10 dual boot. I've installed Intel 256Gb SSD and left old HDD in Optidrive caddy. Ofcourse I've upgraded latest 214 bios with 6Gb SATA-3 enabled. Everything except battery life is ok. Even screen still brighter than many... Though viewing angels I'd want to be better. The CPU A6-3400m is overclocked and undervolted under W10 with k10stat. In Ububntu I've managed to install k10ctl (finding it in archived internet as its source site is offline).
    So I would appreciate any help with k10ctl settings for this particulare CPU. Thnx in advance

10. kvasir119

kvasir119 Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha. I decided to check this thread, randomly, after some years of not being around. This is a die-hard thread. I bought the K53 back when i was in grad school to do work and gaming. I gave the laptop to my brother and it's still chugging along. The keyboard and mouse areas don't really work anymore, but he just uses a wireless kb/mouse and uses it for low end gaming on the go.

I ended up upgrading to an MSI GT60 2QD Dominator, around 2014, as a holy (word of your choice) I finally finished grad school gift to myself. Slapped in 8 GB ram (still have 2 slots free), 2 solid state drives, and it's plenty for my needs (for now). Though, it's already a bit dated with its Nvidia GTX970m. :D

Cheers to all those that made the early days of the K53 the "good ol' days". Lots of good times getting issues ironed out, OC'ing it to heck, and lots of etc.