K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    haha. i hate this laptop now.

keyboard is acting up. F keys and top row of numbers, and a few other keys have to be pushed hard to register.

Not sure if the membrane is deteriorating or if the ribbon is corroded

atoneapone likes this.
  2. ryanlecocq

ryanlecocq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ugh, the Goodwill eBay store I got it from is suuuuuuper incompetent. Long story short I have to wait and pay for them to ship it even though I could have just driven over there for it. I love non-profits, but not to do business with. I would gladly pay twice as much to get something from a private citizen who stakes their personal eBay rep on their service.

3. ryanlecocq

Reputations:
    It has arrived. Oh glorious days.

dzedi likes this.
  4. atoneapone

atoneapone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ryanlecocq,
    I also bought a second one used on ebay for $120 as a spare during Christmas & just gave it away to someone in the family for simple internet use. It was in great working condition, no cracks, scratches, or worn out hinges. I mostly use this old laptop now for internet and, on the go hdtv tunercard, kodi, mkv multimedia usage, & occasional games (still have the same 20+ old pc games on the hdd :))

Maybe an easy keyboard replacement can get it back to normal. New keyboard runs $8 on ebay, but not sure you still find it worth the hassle:). If you repair it you could easily sell it for over $100.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-Keyboard-for-Asus-K53U-K53Z-K53T-K53BR-Series-Black-US/282008906287?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=39035&meid=1ea61bc9e3bc4ce591480f276816cf0f&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=351351088395

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  5. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

haha. nice find. $8 would be worth it.
    Mine is still in mint condition, and I can give it to my mom to replace her slowass 7 year old dual core celeron laptop.

right now, I have to pound so hard on a handful of keys, and sometimes they double type.

seeing that many people buy this kb, i guess failure rate is not low.

6. ryanlecocq

Reputations:
    I just put in a cheap ssd and a pair of matched 4gb sticks earlier tonight. Looking at 3510mx on eBay. This 3400m overclocks pretty well, but I'm debating if even an average 3510mx would be better with slightly faster ram. The benefit would probably be minimal, since I don't use the onboard graphics.

This laptop pretty much just exists for me to tinker with and for my wife to play Phantasy Star Online with me, since she has Macs and it is hard to emulate. It is still managing to run WoW pretty well, but it failed the Dark Souls 3 test. Computers can either run Dark Souls 3 or they can't. For some reason, the G73jh still can, but the K53ta barely can't.

7. ryanlecocq

Reputations:
    Well darn it. I ordered a 3510mx and got a 3500m instead. The sellers excuse was that they look similar and they "accidentally" listed it as a better part, but don't actually have any 3510mx cpus. So I got a refund and am debating whether it's worth opening this thing up just to see if it overclocks better than my 3400m which is functionally identical besides the unused iGPU and however well it subjectively overclocks.

8. Purid

Purid Newbie

Reputations:
    Good day everyone, ive discovered that k53ta may be upgraided with external videocard via miniPCI-E slot
    Will it worth it? Cost be probably ~40$ for adapter +10-15$ power supply + around 40-100$ for videocard (GTX460 for minimum)

9. ryanlecocq

Reputations:
    I would not recommend this. The CPU will be holding you back the most at this point. Almost any game this CPU can handle, the 6650m can also. With a better GPU you might be able to turn up effects, but you would still run new games very slowly. Also, you lose wifi, as the k53 has only one mini pcie.

10. Purid

Purid Newbie

Reputations:
    Loose of wifi module is not that bad cuz it may be replaced with usb-wifi module but low % of improvement is my main question