K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. atoneapone

atoneapone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IMPORTANT ARCHIVAL INFO ABOUT OUR LAPTOP BELOW:
    Not sure what is best but everyone has their favorites. Some people like 13.12whql. I prefer 14.4whql & just use the best latest DLL files placed in a each new game folder so it's using the latest graphic drivers. Older drivers like above are better if you still need the Manual selecting Fixed Mode Dgpu graphics (which required old Bios mod 212).
    But if you just like having the latest drivers, then the Crimson 15.11.1 or any of the past 15.xx drivers are also supposed to be compatible(But Crimson wasn't see update below). It's still a question whether we'll be able to use the latest DLL files from future AMD 16x drivers and if they will continue offering any noticeable benefits. (But I suspect it should be possible.)

Update: Thanks for testing the Crimson drivers haymanali2006 & Link626 - and to unfortunately find they didn't work. Not sure if there is any workaround. So for now the last modded driver 15.5 or earlier drivers are your final choices. I didn't see a reason to have the latest so just stayed on modded 14.4whql.
    ------------------------
    Just Updating in 2018 Most IMPORTANT ARCHIVAL Information & Files for our laptops:
    (This is archived for those installing everything from scratch)

1. BIOS MOD 214 to unlock Fixed Mode + SATA3 6GBITS speed for SSD Drives-DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/6hi4md6hqc1tg4e/K43ta+modded+214+bios+with+SATA+6gbps+SSD+HD.rar
    2.Funky Mike's SG FIX Patcher--if you install Graphic drivers and your switchable graphics are not working, only integrated gpu works. Then this will make sure Graphics are switchable with a switchable graphics menu to select apps that use this. Downoad Link below:
    https://mega.nz/#!tRxAFSBS!xzpBbiEFk-IBWKlSiNKfrm6tRMsCNSUZtk5YpM6QN48

3. The last Fixed Mode Graphic Drivers that worked was Modded 14.4 . You can get it here: (I kept mine on these, but others may like newer 14.12, 15.3, 15.4, 16.101.x, or other.)
    http://mahmoudelfar.blogspot.com/2014/08/modded-catalyst-144-whql-driver-for.html

4. Ability to disable ULPS so graphics can be overclocked . HTWINGNUTS post:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/k53ta-the-best-deal-ever-could-be.601808/page-49#post7861621

5a. Owners Lounge Good Information:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/k53ta-owners-lounge.607232/page-9

5b. SD page I made to try to archive useful informations about this laptop.
    First Page>>
    https://slickdeals.net/e/3183764-as...-hdmi-wifi-n-6-cell-win-7-prem-64-bit-450?v=1
    Post with Archival Information like this --I tried Making on SD

Final Page>> no new questions since 2016, so our laptop is nearing it's end days.
    https://slickdeals.net/e/3183764-as...7-prem-64-bit-450?v=1&p=91787027#post91787027

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. ciran

ciran Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! Does someone has experienced blinking power button and battery leds when laptop plugged in? I need to plug/unplug several times until it stops doing that and starts to charge. Sometimes it does it when when I'm using it and changes to battery mode (if battery is not inserted, it just shut down) and stops doing it after 5 minutes, generally i'm playing when it happens, so i have to close my game, and wait until it starts charging again, maybe its the heat (but I have my doubts cause it happens even when I just power it on) or I don't know if its my battery thats already dying, the charging port or my charger.
    Recently upgraded my processor cause it came with the A4-3300, and the only one I could manage to get a hold on was an A6-3430mx, so maybe that could be also the cause? I'm going to change it back tonight and will see if keeps happening or not.
    Maybe the charger does not delivers enough power? Does anyone that upgraded their processor to a 45watts has -experienced this? My charger is the original one and it delivers 19v and 4.74A according to the sticker.

English is not my first language, so excuse me if is not well written and thanks for your answers.

3. Tapica

Tapica Newbie

Reputations:

I've had this issue happen to me recently and what I did to fix the problem is to unplug the charger from the power source for a few minutes then plug it back in. I haven't had it happen again since I tried that. You could also try using a different power source, cleaning the prongs on your charger and updating the bios to 214 or 214 modded. Hope this helps. Cheers.

ciran likes this.
  4. ciran

ciran Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah thats what I do, but it happens frequently, I'm gonna try cleaning the charger and power jack and see if that helps, thank you!

5. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    I'm finally upgrading from this notebook to core i7.

But before I leave this notebook to collect dust,
    Has anyone ever been able to get 4k video to run smoothly on this notebook? I'm talking about high bitrate stuff. like this.... http://4ksamples.com/4k-uhd-fireworks-sample/

this cpu can't handle it. Won't even play, even with DXVA set as default.

can anyone get that fireworks video to play smoothly?

6. haymanali2006

haymanali2006 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Crimson(legacy) drivers dont work for us. I dont use that pc much, just upgraded to Windows 10 and using with Windows 10 drivers. I did uninstall(safe mod ddu, vs vs) then installed crimson ones, nothing happened. So i rolled back to 14.4 fixed ones. But forget to close updates , win10 updated again :) ccc version is 2015.1104.1643, and wants to update to 16.15.2211 which doesnt work for me too :)

atoneapone likes this.
  7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    i downloaded the crimson drivers from amd's website, and all it did was make bootup hang on black screen for a long time before desktop showed up.
    downgraded back to old 14.x drivers

atoneapone and haymanali2006 like this.
  8. vovka1981

vovka1981 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dears, does anybody has a successful linux experiance on this laptop with working OpenGL to support 3D gaming ? Please share your experiance

9. haymanali2006

haymanali2006 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tried Windows 10 redstone, all drivers installed by Windows update.( About 1.5-2gb update and drivers)
    It was laggy, freezing but brightness control was working. I noticed; It doesn't work in win10 with same update drivers. I didn't try to fix, rolled back to win 10.

10. ryanlecocq

ryanlecocq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just popping in after a couple of years to say I am about to win an auction for another k53ta. If you are unfamiliar with my occasional postings about my projects, don't worry about my money or time.

My first one was destroyed a few years ago and I've been hunting for another in near mint condition. The sentimental value of the k53 is right up there with my Dreamcast, so replacing it was a must. About to grab it for $71 US and it's even in nearby Seattle so I might be able to go pick it up today. Eternal joy.

dzedi likes this.