K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. zyromkiru

zyromkiru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had the same problem (btw when I looked in CCC the CPU was dragged all the way to the lowest setting and I had to drag it back to the top which is probably why you're stuck at p6)

When I tried using the overclocking through ccc it would lock the cpu at that speed no matter what and I couldn't use K10stat (CCC 12.2) I had to uninstall and I went to 12.1 and when I switched to 12.3 I noticed it would do the same thing so I didn't use the overclocking through CCC but then..
    when I was using Power4Gear High Performance with catalyst 12.3 it was capping me at the P1 state and such but when I switched to the standard High Performance that all windows users have it was allowing me to use P0 state with no issues.

So... DO NOT enable AMD Overdrive or use Power4Gear

It's AMD that has problems btw :)

2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    Watts = Amps x Volts

3. OrangeBunnies

OrangeBunnies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Read the output info on the AC adapter, for example, mine says 19V & 3.42A which means I have a 65W charger. Stock battery should be 6-cell, and I'm not so sure there is a 9 or 12-cell battery for this laptop, if there is I cannot find it.

I think you misunderstood me, my overclocks are fine and p-state changes as it should when unlocked. When I lock a P-state, it does not immediately set it to that state, it just makes that the limit, similar to setting CPU max % in the windows power option. It really doesn't affect the performance of my laptop, it's just strange and I was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening.

I am beginning to regret my switch to the red team more and more, but then again, intel does not provide the same overclocking availability in their newer laptops.

4. atoneapone

atoneapone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanation zyromkiru! I was wondering why I was getting lower performance on later 12.2 and 12.3 drivers. These new AMD drivers appeared buggy to us since they removed some functionality from our other software: K10stat & Power4Gear & Afterburner; in actuality the AMD ccc is interfering with the other software. And idle gpu clocks are stuck at high speeds increasing temps and power draw. So I'm sticking with 12.1 for now. I know Power4Gear is unnecessary bloatware by Asus, but I've been so accustomed to using it alongside K10stat. Maybe in the future if I need the latest graphic drivers, then I'll get rid of Power4G.

5. zyromkiru

zyromkiru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My bad xD in that case I have no idea but I've seen a lot of strange things happen lately.

No problem! Ya hopefully we get some better drivers soon but I just know once they get good ones it won't support our system -.-'

btw what's even more odd is that Power4Gear is fine except for the high performance option for me... which is what i would use

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, I figured it out with this information. I have a 90w battery charger. 19V & 4.7A

7. FarplaneWind

FarplaneWind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are people using MSI Afterburner using 700/1000 like I've seen before in this thread? Because that seems to CTD my games after a while, even though there's no overheating. Putting it below 650/950 seems to be the only thing that keeps it moderately stable.

8. OrangeBunnies

Reputations:
    I am using the MSI Afterburner 2.1.0

I'm stable running 3dmark06 with:

-room temp 22C
    -6650m @700/1000 58C
    -A6-3400m @ 2.35GHz 1.1V 70C
    -ULPS enabled (to increase battery life)
    -modded v212 BIOS
    -Catalyst 12.3
    -dynamic GPU
    -3dmark06 Score: 9130

9. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    everyone's card is a little bit different, you need to test your own limit

10. OrangeBunnies

Reputations:
    Found some weird bugs testing my laptop unless there are settings in CCC I'm not aware of causing these:

1) Whenever I unplug or plug in the AC adapter, K10Stat refused to go above stock voltage and default to the highest available P-state in that profile on or below the stock voltage of 1.05V, this could be fixed by restarting or switching to another profile

2) With respect to the bug above, if you plug/unplug while running prime95, the frequency of the current p-state remains, but the voltage drops to stock (assuming the p-state is above stock to start with) eventually leading to a BSOD in my case since I had it running at 2.35GHz @ 1.0875V, upon unplugging the adapter, it dropped to 2.35GHz @ 1.05V.

3) dGPU clocks would default to normal when unplugged, but revert back to overclock settings when plugged back in

4) With ULPS enabled, changing dGPU clocks would cause the GPU to load at 100% all the time, I also found I was unable to open GPU-Z and unable to run 3dmark06 or Heaven's Benchmark. With ULPS disabled, I could change the dGPU clocks and run everything fine.