K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. FarplaneWind

FarplaneWind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I simply cannot oc this gpu. I try to disable ulps in trixx and restart, and it still says it's enabled. I got fed up, edited it off in registry, still said no. Restarted, it is enabled again. What the hell.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Trixx doesn't work right. Use MSI Afterburner. As long as drivers support overclocking you can do it in Afterburner.

3. murderwasthebass

murderwasthebass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bump.

Anybody?

4. Downpresser

Downpresser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know this is an older post, but I really think that throwing in an SSD as a second drive would be the main upgrade I'd like to do. But $50 just for the caddy is a bit much...

Does anyone know of any cheaper caddys the allow you to use the same bezel from the current optical drive?

UPDATE: I *think* the pictures in this one are trying to show that this is possible but I can't tell for certain: SATA Caddy on eBay

5. offplanet

offplanet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. ryanlecocq

ryanlecocq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry if you feel you're being ignored, it's just that we discussed that only a few pages back. Some driver versions will say "6600/6700 series" others will just mistakenly call it a 6750 as that is the most common card with the same core.

The drivers do not differentiate between them because both contain the Whistler Pro core and use identical drivers.

7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    anyone know if the igp can be overclocked ?

for stuttering...... someone be a guinea pig and try underclocking the 6650m to 450mhz.
    I'm curious whether setting similar clocks will result in better visual performance.

damn. that's cheap.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably because it really is a 6750m, just with GDDR3 instead of GDDR5? I know, I know, that's why it's a 6650m, but it really is a 6750m GDDR3 so it's just a case of the the drivers' moniker for the card reflecting as such. :p

Let me help you out. You WANT the Switchable GPU to be set to High Performance for DX:HR, otherwise performance in Crossfire will be crap.

Follow these steps:

How to get the best FPS in Deus Ex Human Revolution on the Asus K53TA (written by me, of course)

Install Catalyst 11.9 RCx or 11.10, even 11.8 if you don't want to use those two. Install 11.8 CAP5. Go to CCC. Set Vsync to ALWAYS OFF for both the 'power saving' and 'performance GPU's (i.e. the iGPU and dGPU). Ensure that Texture Filtering Quality/Catalyst AI is set to the middle setting, AKA 'Quality.' Set Mipmapping to 'Quality' as well.

In DXHR, make sure Triple Buffering is off, Tesselation is off, and everything else is set to 'Normal'. Turn off AA if you're using an external monitor at a higher resolution. Set Anisotropic Filtering to 4x (looks nearly the same as 8x/16x but performs 3-5 FPS better).

Optionally, setup a RadeonPro profile for the game, follow my directions, and add in the AF/Trilinear Optimizations, Large Surface Format Optimization, and disable Aero.

Oh, and finally, make sure Crossfire is enabled. :)

Doing these steps are what got me 40-60 FPS constant @ 1600x900 on Deus Ex HR. After the latest patch, there was almost no stutter to speak of.

9. Bayx

Bayx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Noob here. I never Overclocked anything and I'm totally confused on OCing the CPU/GPU. hahah

10. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Disgustipated,