K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. zinfandel

zinfandel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bump, please comment

2. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^Just buy a new set.. It's only like $5-$15 more for 2 x 4gb...

3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    why spend more money ?

of course the gskill ram will work.

the bios will tell the samsung stick to clock down to match the 9 9 9 24.

that's not really an asus problem.

amd released broken hardware.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. It'll be fine.

Gonna go tomorrow to get my clearance refund and hopefully open box discount.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have the G.Skill RAM running in tandem with the stock Samsung stick. Here is a screenshot composited from two separate ones showing how the system will adjust timings to make sure they are in sync.

[​IMG]

6. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    okay without a doubt, gaming is best when you are NOT in CrossfireX and NOT assigning a power profile to your game. I played an hour or more without any Catalyst Profile setting and got better frame rates, and lower temps. Only hit 71C in this setting and DX ran great in 16x AF. Best it's ever ran or looked. OC at 2.6/2.8GHz @ 1.2V max. I think the system works best at keeping the volts below 1.2

7. ryanlecocq

ryanlecocq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Someone over at the slickdeals thread put in an exactly matching 4gb stick and it doesn't perform any better than the mismatched set, regardless of timings. So don't sweat it.

Dual Graphics aren't broken. Even if it only works on Battlefield games and RIFT it's worth having the option. It's not like there are cheaper laptops with a 6650 and the 6520 cannot be removed, so it's kind of a freebie. This is a quad-core+ radeon 6650 laptop that just happens to have the option of poorly supported crossfire. I'm sure it will have improved support at some point. As many posters have mentioned, Dual Graphics might work better is split frame rendering or with the weaker card used as a secondary buffer/cache.

At the moment though, the % of the gaming market made up of people running Dual Graphics must be incredibly small compared to people with true Crossfire or single GPU.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    See link below to reset the gpu performance profiles. Just delete the files in that directory. To play it safe, just rename the original files. Then reboot.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-series-owners-lounge-288.html#post7920103

I tried games without assigning a profile, but my performance was WORSE even without Crossfire. Deus Ex was 30fps, went up to 45+ when I set it to "high performance", same thing for Bad Company 2.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    16x AA? Deus Ex HR doesn't even support normal forms of antialiasing, that's why it uses Edge AA, FXAA, and MLAA. :eek:

10. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HTWingNut, I wish you had the same machine as us, so we were comparing apples to apples, maybe our systems just run differently for unknown reasons...

Well in my experience, and I've tried every fricken option more than a handful a times, I really feel not assigning a "High Performance" profile to the game makes a world of difference.

I meant AF 16x

Another thing I wanted to point out was MMLoadDrv.exe
    This program loads under your Task Manager whenever CCC is opened or you have a program assigned to a "High Performance" profile.

In either case I remove this task from running.

This is all you should have running in your Task Manager

Attached Files: