K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^But some went through lol

2. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wish AMD would stop calling the 6620G IGP "Discrete-Class Graphics". It's not. It's the same general performance as a very very low power discrete card from two or three years ago, but it's nowhere near as powerful as a something like a 5650 or GT330M. I occasionally game on my IGP in my 4820TG and while the A8 IGP is a bit faster, neither is going to be satisfying at higher gfx or res settings. A 6650 is easily 3 or 4 times as powerful.

But for folks who only play older games like Half Life 2 and older, the A8 with IGP is plenty powerful. But make no mistake in thinking that HP has discrete graphics, it definitely doesn't.

3. zinfandel

zinfandel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks to you I followed up today at local BB. Indeed, they transacted a return of mine at $449 and resold to me at "clearance" price of $427.

Not sure why they would discount a deal like the K53TA when many would be willing to pay a premium for it, but I'm happy. The $22 difference will just about cover a 4GB stick of Ram. Thanks again

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I agree. Although it is definitely good enough if you only plan to play games periodically and are fine at 720p and low details for newer games. Even a few years ago, integrated graphics were a far cry from playing nothing but seven+ year old games.

It does sound like AMD's Trinity is shaping up to be a true game changer though. Possibly at least twice the power of the 6620G. You'd still be relegated to 720p gaming, primarily because of the RAM, but at least you could run 40+ fps with some amount of detail. If only they could find a way to integrate 512MB GDDR5 on the die, or even have a way for the iGPU to access optional GDDR5 on the mainboard, that would be awesome.

5. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that would be amazing. Or hell, just make the whole thing have like 4G of GDDR5 dual ported RAM that the CPU and IGP shared. Well, we'll see what the future brings.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The desktop Fusion APU already has half of its die dedicated toward graphics. Adding additional power and GDDR5 would certainly make the size of the CPU too large and/or impossible to keep cool.

A nice idea but probably not going to happen anytime soon.

7. Moravian

Moravian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When they're all using the same chipset though I doubt it would really be that hard or costly to spec out a separate memory channel that's strictly on-board and call for 512mb.

Now the reason it won't ever happen is the reason HP's getting out of hardware, the bottom line. Let's just say a dedicated chip adds $100 cost and if everyone used them on every notebook it would drop the price to $25 a chip. They could sell every model for another let's say $30, make a higher profit and give the consumer a far better product. It won't ever happen though because someone won't and they'll lose enough unit sales to that company that even if the higher profit balances it they'd rather have the units. Race to the bottom.

8. burninh2o

burninh2o Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can the stock AMD version play the latest games at 720P res with medium settings?

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    6650m is not 3-4x as powerful as a 6620G. Do the math and compare the stream processors + GPU clockspeeds. They're much closer than you think.

10. emiljan

emiljan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck.net shows the 6620g on par with a older 5650m which is a tad slower than the 6650m, which by looking at the benchmarks seems about right.