K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. arrowslinger

arrowslinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well that 'splains a lot thanks :)

I really don't think it would change much with an overclock but I could be wrong.

2. bschrib

bschrib Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great news everyone! You're reading this in my voice!

No but seriously. Most of my equipment came today (The RAM inexplicably came today too!.. more on that later). So I got the A8-3530MX all installed and I'm typing from my K53TA powered by an A8-3530MX.

I haven't updated my drivers yet but I plan on doing that hopefully a little later tonight so that I can go ahead and get some tests going so I can share what this upgrade nets me. The great news is that the CPU is seen correcting both in the BIOS and in all system monitoring software I've tried so far.

The bad news is that during the course of the disassembly one of the plastic mount points for a screw broke off, so word of warning to anyone planning to do this.

Further bad news is that the only thing that didn't arrive today was the MX-4 compound so I used some Antec Formula 5 Arctic Silver that I had laying around -- Anyone know how it compares to the MX-4 stuff??

Also I did end up getting the Kingston DDR3 HyperX memory (with the vented heat spreaders) but when checking CPUID I see that it says its running at 800MHz? See my screenshots below, any recommendation to make sure that I have my memory setup properly would be VERY much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows any good K10stats settings for an A8-3530MX that'd be awesome too. Otherwise to google I go. :)

I'll post more as I get more done. Have to get to bed here soon. :\

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also the WEI which doesn't mean much was taken at stock clock (1.9GHz)

3. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With AMD Official 11.8 gpu driver or 11.8 in general, you can't OC. You have to install the chipset driver from Asus.

Good job.

I don't know about the compound stuff, but any would be better than stock/oem lol.

800 MHz is correct if you're using CPU-Z. With mine, it says 667 MHz.

You should run some benchmark and see the temperature compare to stock and is it stable :D

4. avorick

avorick Newbie

Reputations:
    When I bought my K53TA, I had 3.48gb usable ram out of the 4gb ram that came with it. But after I updated the BIOS, the usable ram went down to 2.24gb. Why did this happen? How can I get back more usable ram? Does anyone else have this problem? D:

5. DMHinGA

DMHinGA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Samsung monitor, and I do not see graininess. I haven't seen problems with the monitor since I updated to 206. I'm now using 207 bios and not having any problems. However, the viewing angle is terrible.

6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    viewing angles on 99% of laptops are horrible.

These are TN panels. Only the rare few that are IPS panels have good viewing angles.

Fortunately, one does not have to disassemble the whole laptop to replace the lcd. So if a fix doesn't come out for those of us with CMO lcd, I'm gonna rma this biatch.

seems like the dual channel memory speeds things up.

compare that with my single channel.
    also seems like the MX is more aggressive with turbo maybe ?

my 2ghz / 2.6 turbo can't reach 7.0 cpu after repeated runs. But it's nice and stable. that's all i care about.

[​IMG]

7. arrowslinger

Reputations:
    Congrats now get some benchies :D

8. bschrib

bschrib Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, so I went ahead and uninstalled the drivers for the machine then rebooted into Safe Boot to remove any remnants with Drivercleaner.net. I've got the latest 11.8 ASUS drivers loaded up now and I went ahead and ran a simple burn in (Intel Burn Test).

[​IMG]

I'm going to go ahead and burn it in some more but just thought I'd share so far.

9. bschrib

bschrib Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok. So I went ahead and ran Furmark and Prime95 in conjunction. Temps seem a bit high, but I'm also OC'd to 2.6GHz with 3.0GHz boost. Sitting at 85C after about 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

10. arrowslinger

Reputations:
    I would be freakin out at that heat at idle :eek: