K53TA.. The best deal ever... could be!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by UnXpectedError, Aug 8, 2011.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    WOW! That's a MMMMONSTER COOLER! lol

I have the U3 that comes with 3 fans and a fan controller. I may do something similar, plus pipe gaseous dry ice up through the fans... lol.

2. runtohell121

runtohell121 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol I was about to get the U3 for $25-$30 at Fry's yesterday.. but since it was $10 - $10 rebate for the U1.. Had spare fans laying around in the house... lol

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, 11.8 and 11.9 destroy the latest Asus drivers.

Why?

The latest Asus drivers are NOT 11.8, they are 8.863. 11.8 is 8.881. The new Asus drivers are 2-3 months old, which means they don't have the performance improvements that 11.8 and 11.9 do.

In fact, the 8.863's broke DirectX11 support for DX:HR on my laptop. It wouldn't even recognize them as DX11 compatible.

Anyone using the 8.863's is cutting themselves short; they're old drivers, that is why the overclocking still works. 11.8 and 11.9 have better Crossfire support and more performance profiles for new games, like WH40k: Space Marine and Deus Ex: HR.

4. Kukri

Kukri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think that's the case. The 8.863 drivers are dated June 2011, but that just means they began development at that time. They weren't released til August 31, so I'm sure they include most of the new updates considered essential for the Asus. Not sure if they have thhe new openGL support the 11.8s do or not. I got an astounding performance increase using 8.863 over 8.880 (11.8 previews) in some applications. Other games run the same, and deus x might indeed have some reduced performance, though dx11 works completely.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm not having any issues with the Asus drivers either. Using the Catalyst Application Profiles helps a bit, especially since they give you extra power profiles to play with.

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I installed atk kbfilter but Disgustipated claims that instead of installing the chipset drivers I should install the drivers from AMD's site (although I don't know if that will work as some people had trouble installing it), should I follow his advice, and if I did would I have to manually install everything the chipset would have otherwise installed for me? I've read through this entire thread a couple of times over now and it's kind of confusing. The first post needs to be updated with information for a fresh install, if I need it, newbies definitely need it.

7. helios2291

helios2291 Newbie

Reputations:
    I did already, tomorrow will be the end of the 48h response period.

On skype, I've had people tell me that the built in microphone makes me sound like I'm underwater. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    use windows sound recorder and record your own voice, and play it back.

does it sound muffled ?

sometimes that's due to some noise reduction feature.
    does skype have a noise reduction feature?

whatever you install, just get it from asus' website.

if it crashes during installation, install the usb3 drivers separately.

sounds like newest drivers from amd won't hurt either.
    either way, it's hard to break the computer.

9. arrowslinger

arrowslinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried it the fans don't seem to be getting the power to spin them as fast as they should? I ordered another U2 as I could not find anyone selling the fan kit alone, heck the whole cooler is only 22 bucks on newegg :)

Here is my ghetto mod until the other gets here Wednesday:

[​IMG]

Also the hot spot seems to be on the left side (looking at bottom near the exhaust) and the other over the hard drive, my cooler two stock fans placed in those areas seems to work best. Over the vents seems not to work as well?

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not everything I say is 'fact', YMMV with drivers especially. But I honestly believe that 11.8 and 11.9 RCx are the best drivers for these right now, especially with newer games. I just wish AMD would fix the overclocking BSOD issue...