K53ta-bbr6 Cooling Mods

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gumba213, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks, all you need a dremel and a diamond blade. crosshatch, horizontal and vertical cuts but not going outside your border. punch out the plastic in the middle and edge your way to the border using a sanding bit.

also saw your final product on your HP, nice work, looks like some of us got the mod bug in full effect

I may add some additional copper shims here in the coming days. I still have a butt load of thermal tape, shims, and additional heat sinks I may try mounting. But so far I am pleased with the initial results.

diamond bit

[​IMG]

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well I cut the slot in the fan shroud first before the hole in the bottom. It DID cool the CPU and GPU cooler, only all the hot air was filtering into the compartment so it was physically too hot to bear. The effect of the airflow into the compartment was helping with all the heatsinks though. I then put electrical tape over that slot I cut in the shroud because palmrest was just too darn hot.

Now that I have the hole for cool air to come in, I will probably take that electrical tape off next time I open the machine up and see what the result is.

Congrats on your 28C temps! Mine is only about 33C, but then again, different systems, and my ambient is about 25C, so 8C over ambient is damn good. With web use and basic tasks usually 38-40C, still pretty good.

I was just using the Dremel tool and bits I had on hand. No diamond bits just the basic cutting wheels. But it worked with a little tender care. I have no sanding bits. May pick some up next time I'm at the hardware store and open it up a bit more. I wanted to make it wider, but the heatpipes are in the way and no real easy way to remove them or get around them, maybe can sand my way over a little bit more. That fan is only about 12mm thick, too.

3. len888

len888 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    may i know where did you get those small Enzotech Copper Heatsinks?

4. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    gumba, can you do this one test and report back your results-

block the big hole at the bottom of the case with cardboard or paper, and do whatever hour-long cpu torture test, and record temps.

then the same with the big hole unplugged.

I'd like to see how much improvement the bottom hole alone is providing.

that is exactly my concern. too much warm air trapped inside the case = not ideal airflow.
    If this were a desktop case, hot air trapped in the case is alarming, even if there is some airflow over the cpu and gpu areas.

5. bmcreider

bmcreider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. bmcreider

bmcreider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From the OPs observations, it seems the stock setup also has stagnant air - at least on the intake side.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Any airflow that is cooler than the surface it touches (heatsinks) is better than no airflow at all which is what it was, at least in the HP. The Asus seems to be designed a little better though, although very limited with intake vents underneath the laptop.

The CPU *DID* run cooler even with hot air flowing over it, only it was physically apparent in the palmrest, which was uncomfortable with gaming. If the palmrest wasn't hot I would have left the fan slot open because of its additional cooling benefits.

8. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

question now is..... is there massive suction over the new holes you cut ?

I don't think you'd feel suction on any laptop from intake vents placed that far away.
    directly beneath the fan, there's enough suction to hold a tissue.

there had to be some airflow before you cut out those holes. Where else would it pull in air ?

Have you tried measuring temps while leaving the whole bottom panel off ?

anyway, I did a test on my old laptop to see how effective a fan hole directly underneath is.
    my suspicions/guesses were right. Only 2c improvement.

prime95 test, 30 minutes, flat on desk-
    fan hole open- 41c idle, 66c load
    fan hole plugged- 43c, 68c.

prime95 test, 30 mins, rear elevated- gave an additional 2c improvement over the above numbers.
    fan hole open- 64c load.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    You can't take the whole bottom panel off the DV6z and have the computer operate, not without everything hanging off like an abomination. Not sure about the K53TA.

Also, with the amount of air moving out of the fan slots, you should have some noticeable effect of air movement through those tiny slots.

Plus your test isn't apples to apples, every laptop is different, plus considering I was going from 90C+ to 70-72C in Bad Company 2, that's a noticeable improvement I'd say. :cool:

And I just tested by running 15 mins Prime95 large fft's 65C, closed the hole, it ran to 72C. Opened the hole back and it slowly crept back down to 66C. Add a laptop cooler under there, and it drops another 5C. I'll take 5-7C any day, and another 5C from a laptop cooler that would have otherwise been ineffective because of no hole.

10. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    played TF2 for over an hour at maxed out settings and max temps reached 82C

Next up is seeing if I can undervolt this some more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.