K53ta-bbr6 Cooling Mods

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gumba213, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Great stuff here OP, definitely saving it to bookmarks. My warranty ends in a couple of months and my hands are itchin' to try something like this myself :D.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I dunno. Not sure about the K53 but in the case of the DV6z there was literally NO AIRFLOW over the CPU or GPU. I put a small piece of tissue paper over the vent over the CPU and it didn't even stick due to the vacuum that should have been there to hold it in place.

3. bmcreider

bmcreider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What I picture is the air that would have gotten blown past the fins and out the side vent, some of it, it is going into the case over the mini heatsinks (as intended) but link thinks it would be better if all that air went past the fins, and none inside the case...

It makes sense as the air is channeled 100% through those fins, and only some of the escaping air passes over those mini heatsinks.

4. FFZERO

FFZERO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you cut those enzotech heatsink? I was measuring my GX640 a while back and concluded that those heatsink were too tall for my case.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    2 questions: did you mold these heatsinks and glue those copper sheets?

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    The point is that the chamber with the CPU and GPU has little to no airflow, and slowly it heats up as very little is exhausted as it should be, and what is exhausted is going into the fan and across the fins, which means hotter and hotter air goes across the fins making it virtually ineffective. I have noticed 5-8C at load temperature drop by opening the vent on my machine, but it's just the palmrest the becomes hot because it's more or less right above the fan outlet. The results from the M11x that did a similar mod dropped temps to the point where it rarely exceeds 55C during gaming.

7. bmcreider

Reputations:
    What if you just cut the hole in the bottom to intake cooler air, but didn't cut the side of the shroud? That way you'd get as cold and as much air as possible over the fins?

8. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Now to clarify why I did what I did to the fan, AGAIN...and in MORE detail to quiet the skeptics, despite my RESULTS, cough -15C vs stock, which I'd say are pretty damn good....

You get an increase in air density through the fan after you've cut a hole on the bottom to draw in cold air.
    Like on a windy day, you can have one window open, but if you open another window on the other side of the house you get a very noticeable draft. Same idea going on here.

As far as cutting the side slot on the fan for additional cooling on the cpu and gpu, I can't say it enough, the proof is in the pudding. The additional airflow over the processors will allow for better use of my newly installed heatsinks. Passing cool air over them is aiding in the cooling. And just fyi, I may have removed at most 25% of the sidewall, which I feel is justified based on my above thinking. But hey lets see what your results show...

Yes you need to cut the enzotech heatsinks with a pair of wire cutters. I had cut the ones on the CPU at one length and the ones on the GPU a longer length since there was more of a clearance in that area. simply attached them using the thermal tape provided with the aftermarket heatsinks

9. bmcreider

Reputations:
    I guess my remaining skepticism is:

Is more airflow over the fins or more airflow over the chips, sacrificing one for the other, a better option? Since the fan only puts out a certain CFM no matter what.

10. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the airflow over the heatsinks and chips makes a positive difference and it shows in the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.