K53ta-bbr6 Cooling Mods

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gumba213, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumba213

gumba213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Video link below

:eek: COOLING MOD VIDEO :eek:

Here's some cooling modifications I recently made to my Asus K53TA-BBR6 Laptop.

LOWERED CORE TEMPS 10-15C

HELPFUL LINKS
    - ASUS DRIVER DOWNLOAD PAGE
    - CAP3 ATI Drivers
    - DRIVER SWEEPER - BEST FOR CLEAN VIDEO DRIVER INSTALLS
    - K10STAT OVERCLOCKING SOFTWARE
    - CPU-Z SPEED MONITORING SOFTWARE
    - HWMONITOR - CORE TEMP MONITOR
    - FRAPS - FRAMES PER SECOND DISPLAY

STATS:
    - AMD A6-3400M - OC'd 3.0 GHz
    - ATi 6720G2 1GB DDR3
    - 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    - 1366x768 Native

MOD LIST: TOTAL: $50 give or take
    - Arctic MX4 Thermal Paste - $8
    - Enzotech Copper Heatsinks - 2 Sets @ $10-15 each
    - Aluminum Heatsink - $5
    - Thermal Tape - $6

FINAL PRODUCT

[​IMG]

Main reason I wanted to modify this computer was that it was running hot from the get-go.
    80-85C during gameplay on Moderate Settings. Deus Ex just came out and I wanted to push this thing to its limits, so naturally I wanted to make some upgrades.

First thing I noticed when I inspected the heatsinks was a heavy dose of paste on both the CPU and GPU, this isn't good and probably partially to blame for my higher temps. You only need a thin layer to fill in the gaps for heat transfer, this is obviously too much...

CPU/GPU Factory Paste
    [​IMG]

Next I cleaned up the processors using some standard Rubbing Ethyl Alcohol, and applied Arctic MX4 Thermal Paste. I use the finger spread method, you guys do whatever you thinks the best...

[​IMG]

After cleaning processors from the factory paste I decided to make a slight modification to the the cooling fan. The idea here is to open airflow to pass over the newly installed heatsinks and heat pipe. There are vents located on the front of the case that will allow for exhaust ventilation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEXT up was installing the Heatsinks... I applied 16 Enzotech Copper Heatsinks on top of the CPU's heat shield and only 4 on the GPU's. To compensate for this difference, I installed an additional aluminum heatsink using thermal tape ontop of the GPU. I oriented its fins toward the cooling fan to maximize cooling efficiency.

[​IMG]

Couldn't stop there, next up was another mod for the fan, and maybe one of the main cooling contributors.
    I simply cut a hole in the bottom of the computer's casing and installed some metal mesh so fresh air could be drawn into the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last modification was to add some copper sticker sheets on the casing to even better assist in the heat distribution.

[​IMG]

RESULTS:

Using Deus Ex HR as my benchmark, now with near Ultra High Settings, and pushing my processors to their max, add in some undervolting for additional cooling control, and overclocking to 3Ghz, results showed...

Max CPU/GPU Temps ran 77C, almost a 15C difference...

K10Stat OC Settings and HWMonitor Temps, have since lowered to 77C Max

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. markozutic

markozutic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like great moding and great results got there!
    tell me are the heatsinks original ones or u have got new? and did this copper "needles" come stock or did u install them separately ?

3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    not sure whether the "thick" paste does any harm.
    when the heatsink is clamped down, that paste should thin out, no ?

Was the contact area of the heatsink smooth ?

perhaps the air hole from the bottom gave the most benefit.
    Normally, the air gets sucked in from the front vents, over the hot heatpipes, so by the time the air reaches the fan, it's already warm.
    The hole gives it direct access to cool air from underneath.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    @gumba213 - Good job! +1

I did something similar on my DV6z: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-series-owners-lounge-252.html#post7882578

and here's stock heatsink/fan: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-series-owners-lounge-227.html#post7861083

Curious about the copper sheeting on the casing though. Wondering how much of an effect that has.

I was hesitant to cut a hole by the fan, but I may go ahead and do that. It seems it should only help.

How did you secure the metal mesh? Some kind of adhesive?

edit: I just updated mine: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xxx-series-owners-lounge-253.html#post7883598

I cut the hole out for the fan, that helps quite a bit. I also cut out a slot on the fan shroud to let air in the main compartment over the CPU and GPU but that made the palmrest extremely warm. It basically was pushing the hot air from the fan and heatsinks into the main compartment. It helped with cooling, but just made the rest of the computer unbearably warm. Of course this was before I cut a hole on the bottom for the fan.

5. gumba213

Reputations:
    You want the thinnest layer of paste, anything more and it will cause the reverse effects. The purpose is only to fill any microscopic gaps between the two surfaces. As far as the contact area on the heatsink, it appeared to be pretty smooth to me. I am not sure what one modification made the biggest difference, but the hole on the bottom is huge, you obviously get fresh cold air coming in. I put my hand on the bottom of my PC and it actually feels cool now.

High Fans did not kick in once during Deux Ex play last night, very impressed. Also a sidenote on DX, removed the horizontal tearing we were experiencing in the game...

Everyday web browsing went from 55-65C now to 42-53C, more than a 10C drop

The copper sheeting was about a mm thick and was stripped from my old Toshiba qosmio, looks like some nice stuff. I'm sure it works to some degree - no pun intended, duh

6. bmcreider

bmcreider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like HT mentioned...does the palm rest / case get hot now with the fan blowing inside?

7. gumba213

Reputations:
    No the computer actually feels amazingly cool. Sitting here, just web browsing it nearly feels like it's off, seriously there is no heat being generated and the fan is in the lowest setting. 41C as I'm typing here with Chrome open and a few additional windows , Adobe CS5 and CPU monitoring software.

Also wanted to point out the air vents on the front of the computer, the air than now flows over the gpu and cpu, will naturally channel its way out these exhaust vents.

8. link626

Reputations:
    did you ever test your max OC temps during intelburntest or prime95 ?

if so, can you run the test again post-mod and see what temps you get ?

I may drill holes under the fan after my warranty expires. The way I did it on my old laptop was to use a soldering iron with a small tip, and melt evenly spaced holes into the plastic. I noticed my fan wasn't spinning up as often anymore.
    The down side was that there was more dust. Luckily there was an access panel underneath to allow me to vacuum the fan.

To clean out this asus fan, we need to remove the keyboard and vacuum from the top.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
  10. link626

Reputations:
    I wouldn't recommend cutting a hole in the fan housing.

one concern I have about cutting a hole in the side of the fan housing is that it reduces air pressure directed towards the fins, which is the most important part of cooling. You want the air blown out the side of the laptop as fast as possible. Air pressure and wind speed are related.

I don't think you want to blow air in random directions inside the case. You're just mixing hot air inside the case, and those dinky vents in front of the case don't look ideal for dissipating heat.

Ideally, you want the heat to travel along the copper, and blown out the side of the case, not blow off part of the heat before it gets to the fins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.