Just when i thought this Laptop couldnt get any worse.. the hinge breaks ! My Options ??

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Paddon, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddon

Paddon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, Im just trying to seek advise as to what to do with my M14x now the hinge has broke. This laptop has had endless problems since i bought it and is out of warranty now ( M14x r1) I dont wish to pay to get it repaired as to be honest i am fed up with this Laptop and do not wish to use it anymore. However i do want to try and scrape some of the 1.5k back that i paid for it !!

Does anyone know of a way i could maybe, take it apart and sell parts of the laptop, or if anyone buys laptops to refurbish them ?

Kinda desperate i dont really just want to chuck it in the bin. lol :p

Any advise greatly appreciated !

2. sangemaru

sangemaru Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suggest you just post it on the For Sale section and mention whatever issues it has. You could try to sell it in one peace or break it apart for parts and list them on the forum, as well ebay and/or some other sites.

3. Super Octet

Super Octet Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you tried calling Dell ?
    I know it's out of warranty, but I think the hinge problem is recurrent enough that it might be possible for them to repair it for free.

I think in Europe the manufacturer can't bail out of that kind of damage even if the initial warranty has already expired.

4. Paddon

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replys. Yeah exactly what i was thinking... they replaced all the M11x hinges even if they were out of warranty so why not do the same for M14x ! they must have realised with the M11x that they were obliged to do so...

I have researched it online and sounds like many people have tried to get theirs repaired but apparently they are refusing if you are out of warranty.

How much do you think i could sell this laptop for with a knackered left hinge ? lol cost me about £1.4k - £1.6k :S

Thanks

Jon

5. idiotpilot

idiotpilot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try repairing the hinge before you attempt to sell it. Like octet said, this had been a huge problem with the new generation of Aw laptops and I'm sure that if you talked to dell support and explained your story to them they'd repair it free of charge. And as for the price, you will likely get lowballed to something like $1,000-$1,200.

6. idiotpilot

Reputations:
    In the occurrence that AW wont fix the hinge shoot me a pm and I can assist you with repairing it if you'd like. I repaired the m11x's hinges before dell recognized it as a defect.

7. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He'd be lucky to get over a grand for a 2 year old M14x r1 with a broken hinge. Most of the M14x r2s in the NBR marketplace only go for $700-900, and that's with a newer gpu and no broken hinge.

8. idiotpilot

Reputations:
    My quote was with a fixed hinge. His computer specs are actually really nice, but you're right, he'd be looking at like 900$.

9. Paddon

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advise, well that works out to be about £500... tbh i would sell at that but if its gonna cost me like £100 to get it fixed then i will be looking at £400 profit which isnt worth it in my opinion. I think im gonna just build my own desktop now and keep this hanging about for when dell finally admit to their design flaw on the M14x so i can get it repaired !

I will try calling them at some point.

My laptop has the exact same issue as seen in this picture. If anyone knows if this can be fixed cheaply, i would greatly appreciate the help !

Thanks again

Jon

10. idiotpilot

Reputations:
    Paddon- Link the picture? There's a lot of resources on how to fix the hinges. All you need is some epoxy from a local hardware store and a micro screwdriver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.