Just upgraded to an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So I have both the Killer AC1535 and the Intel AC 8260

The Killer AC1535 has an issue where if you are downloading a few files and basically put the card under heavy load, it simply disables itself from device manager and thus, disconnecting you temporarily. I was experiencing the same issue myself and when I googled it, I found this: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19658353

seems like others are also having the same issues. I tried every driver out there for the card but it's the same, seems like a hardware issue maybe. I don't even install the Killer Suite, just the barebones driver.

Although I have to say that the Killer AC1535 has the best range, my ASUS AC5300 router is located in a bedroom that is 12 feet away from where my laptop is located and I would get 5 bars full on the connection and the speed never drops below 866 MBPS and that is using ASUS Smart Connect which automatically places my connection on the best Wireless band (2.4 GHz or one of the two 5 GHz networks)

===================================================================
    So I had ordered an Intel AC8260 as well with my laptop as a backup. My connection seems snappier with it, as in, despite the Killer AC1535 having MU-MIMO technology which is also supported on my router, doing basic things such as web surfing seem snappier, I mean there is no lag before you click on a bookmark or URL link and the time you actually starting to see the page load which isn't true for the Killer AC1535

the only issue or quirk I might say with the Intel AC8260 is that its range is weaker, I would only connect @ 399MBPS to my ASUS AC5300 router unless I disabled Smart Connect and manually connected to a 5 GHz network but even then, the speeds would fluctuate between 650 MBPS and 866 MBPS.

Although I must add, that going to public places which have different routers, I often find it easier to connect to these networks with the Intel Card. With the Killer AC1535 I had a lot of instances where I would connect to the network but would have no internet connectivity until they restarted their router for some reason.
    ====================================================================
    Now I came across the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC8265 the other day and was very interested in it since it now supports MU-MIMO technology.

I ordered it from this guy from eBay ($36 USD per card) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/191953046897?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Communication was fast with the reseller and he shipped it within 1 day

I ordered 2 of em to keep 1 as a spare and here they are:

[​IMG]

They came in a cardboard box, and actually had an instructions manual and a set of screws so I was all set.

do note that on this card, the Black Antenna and White Antenna positions are inverted unlike how they were on the Intel AC8260 and the Killer AC1535, not a big deal but just wanted to let you know.

I didn't even have to install any driver since the Intel AC8260 Driver is the same one for the Intel AC8265

I don't know if this is a placebo effect but I feel that my browsing is snappier now, the lag is non-existent when clicking on links as if the page I was clicking on was cached in the background..

The wireless range is not as good as the Killer AC1535 but slightly better than the Intel AC8260 and add to the fact that this card actually works as intended and doesn't disconnect makes it the best WLAN card on the market right now and I highly recommend it.

Here are my speed test results:

Intel Wireless-AC 8260:

[​IMG]

Intel Wireless-AC 8265:

[​IMG]

This is NOT a technical review by any means, it is merely a user's perspective. End result, I am happy with this small upgrade!

@Papusan @bloodhawk @boricuafly @Mr. Fox @ssj92 @hmscott @GTVEVO @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER @Shakeeb Anjum @Prema

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great review man!!

As a person who plays WoW, WLAN latency and reliability is essential, this provides valuable real world perspective on the two cards.

Spartan likes this.
  3. afloyd

afloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great writeup! I've already ordered an 8265 as well a few days ago... Thanks to a post you had in another thread some where!

Mine is still on the slow boat from China though. And my EVOC is still "in production ". Nice to hear it's a noticeable difference :)

infex and Spartan like this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yeah, ive spotted the 8265 as well and noticed the MIMO capability, interesting stuff. could make it the first worthwhile upgrade for my 7265 in a long time :) especially at that price point, availability here in Germany is given from 25€ incl. shipping :)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

Spartan likes this.
  5. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Nice, thanks for the write-up man.
    Im thinking of picking up one as well, to see how well MU-MIMO works. For now my 8260 maxes out my current connection.

[​IMG]

Spartan likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice info. I am not impressed with my 8260 and wish I had purchases another 1535 for El Cazador. I have had a 3 out of 3 perfect experience with the 1535... zero problems or complaints. Maybe I will grab one in a couple of months to play with. At $35 there is nothing to lose.

afloyd and Spartan like this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Strange how you didn't have any issues with the Killer AC1535. I hope you checked the link to the Dell forums in the OP

And this post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-8260-vs-killer-1535.782842/page-5#post-10378763

bloodhawk likes this.
  8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    The issues with Killer and Intel cards are very dependant on the routers they are connected to. And what other devices are connected to the router at the same. Specially if the router isn't good at handling multiple channels at the same time.
    The image in the spoiler above, is using the 8260, notice how there is 1 less bar and the link speed is at 866 Mbps?
    With the Killer 1535 the bars are always maxed out, but the link speed never crosses 4xx Mbps .
    Also the Killer isn't able to max out my internet connection, it tops out at 75-85 Mbps.
    However when my friend connects his Mac book Pro or the iPhone, my network takes a nosedive, be it the Intel or the Killer cards connected.
    I normally have 4 devices connected to my AC-RT68U. Even If i connect another 4, the network stays all normal. However the moment an apple device shows up, my speeds and latencies **** the bed.

Point being there are a lot of other factors involved as well, when it comes to which network card is better. And it will vary by the network they are being used on.

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    My killer 1525ac has been rock stable on my router.. Can't say the same for Intel cards which usually connect including the 7260/7265... It really depends on your router etc..

10. infex

infex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ordered it and hope for it to come sooner than dec. 28 lol... anyway thanks for the headsup. killer has been giving me issues with my MSI and now the EVOC...

afloyd and Spartan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.