Just upgraded my Alienware 17 to GTX980M, now issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BA0701, Jul 6, 2018.

1. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @TheReciever to be clear, I am not at all adverse to slinging darts, I just want to make sure I am throwing them straight.

As to your comments about the emitter, not sure if this makes a difference in that regard or not, but I plugged in my pg27vq monitor using hdmi. It is a 3D vision compatible monitor, but requires the use of the display port for that functionality. My system still boots, just like when connected to my TV, however it does not give me an opyion to enable 3D, only the 3D TV option shows up, and due to the lack of a 3D tv being connected, I cannot set those resolutions. I don't know if that makes a difference in your thinking on that front or not.

2. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    3d is only supported by the 700 and 800 series cards. It's an nvidia thing. There's no way to make a 900 or 1000 series card display 3d internally or externally. It would require official support from nvidia which will not happen. Sorry if this is already answered

3. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi @EepoSaurus , and thank you for the reply. That issue was mentioned, however it didn't include the use of 3D with an external monitor. Strangely enough, 3D TV does still work, but apparently not the goid 3D monitor 3D. While this is disappointing, as I love that functionality, it's not a deal breaker for the performance gains this card is giving me.

My only hope, at this point, is to be able to boot the syatem, without having an external monitor plugged in.

Thank you, though, for your response!

4. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Just follow these steps and (in 99%) you should be fine.

The 10xx cards work same way, but require sm. dremeling to the heatsink itself and only run on the 120 Hz. eDP Panel (which you also have).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you @M18x-oldie you have been extremely helpful, and I can't thank you enough!

M18x-oldie likes this.
  6. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Worked? Running now?

7. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to do it. I have a minor surgery tomorrow, setting up for the big one at the end of the month. So, I might not be able to try this until after I get back home, some time in August. Thank you, though, very much, for all of your help. I will let you know how it goes, as soon as I give it a go!!

M18x-oldie likes this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Good luck on your surgery, I just underwent a minor surgery, gall bladder removal. Relatively easy compared to a broken femur when I was younger. They all suck though.

9. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah good luck for your surgery from me too!