Just upgraded my Alienware 17 to GTX980M, now issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BA0701, Jul 6, 2018.

1. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

accidentally ran into this Thread when looking up smthing for a friend.

@BA0701: could you recall and post the steps up to the point when putting in the 980m?

Sm preparations are needed before putting in the card, and then it normally should run without any probs, but please tell your steps first.

Regards

Btw. what you were told on the Dell Forum, is not true. Am running a 1060 in my M17x R4 on stock BIOS (=Firmware) A11, and the AW 17 works a similar way, straightforward with the correct settings.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Unless you're using that crappy eurocom card then I doubt your running stock legacy mode instead of full uefi

3. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi @M18x-oldie !! Yes, I basically uninstalled the old drivers using DDU, removed the old card, and installed the new one, as I had seen on numerous videos on YT, then installed the new drivers. The new drivers do install without modding them, so they def see the card as a Dell branded card. However, I contacted the seller about this, and they directed me to this video, from Eurocom, which has an entirely different procedure. Seller told me I should replace the 780, and follow these instructions, and everything should work fine, with the exception, of course, of the 3D.

Here is the link I mentioned, so if you could tell me if these instructions about cover everything, I plan on following them first thing tomorrow:

Thank you, very much, @M18x-oldie !!!

4. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, looks like you just popped out the 780m and slammed the 980m in :D

And it looks like your TV plugged in smhow bypasses the "normal" POST.

To have the internal screen full running, normally doesn't work that way, as 99% of the upgraders (including me at the time of my upgrade) come from a Legacy/MBR environment.

GTX 970m and higher need to be set up in a full UEFI environment with no remains of legacy.

Thus results in a reinstall with the following BIOS-settings, will/should work 99% (1% safety stock for me :D ):

Either keep your TV plugged in case you have an image or plug in your 780m for the following BIOS-settings.

- secure-boot off
    - fast-boot off
    To avoid any hickups when booting

- full UEFI, no legacy/no compatibilty mode at all

- hit "F10" and "yes"

- shut down your machine via the Power-Button

- plug off your TV/put in the 980m

- install Windows (8 or higher) on a GPT partition tabled, NTFS drive (very essential part, no MBR!!)

- usually a modding of Drivers is inevitable

- enjoy the FPS- Boost!! :D

(As you'd found out earlier, 3D will not work).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Seller directed you to the wrong model laptop. Thats 2 generations older than your laptop.

6. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, also with different BIOS settings.

Just the Hardware stuff, from min. 1:00 on is the same for the bare swap of the cards.

7. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi @TheReciever , understood, so, I am assuming by your comment, that the procedure would therefore be greatly different? Now, please understand, I trust this forum to steer me straight, that is why I started here with this inquiry. Heck, I used to be fairly active here myself, when the M17X R2 first released. @DR650SE and I had the same system, and were, at the time deployed just a few miles apart from each other, in Iraq, he was in the IZ (what folks back home referred to as the Green Zone, which was a complete misnomer, as it implied it was a safe area), and I was just a couple of miles away in Sadr City. He was an overclocking benchmarking madman, to be sure, but I digress.

I do not believe you are at all trying to steer me in the wrong direction. However, I can provide you the link to the thread I referenced on the Dell forums, and the guy I quoted actually told me under no circumstances should I do an emergency flash of my system, lest I be left holding a brick. His comments followed your comments that I should look into doing just that, and oddly enough I made absolutely no reference to your having said that. So, please understand my hesitance at this point, in regards to throwing darts. I am simply trying to get a known good procedure in place, because I obviously missed some, possibly even several, steps during my process. The old way, the way I replaced the card in my M17X R2, was the same procedure I followed this time, and the 680 I installed back then wasn't even a Dell branded card, as the one I installed was a 4GB card, and Dell only offered the 2GB card, and they never offered it in that same revision of the system. Obviously things have changed since then, but trying to pinpoint the required procedure has been challenging. I know it can be done, and know these are the forums that will show me the way. I am willing to post screen shots, or anything else thst might be neccessary to figure out where I went wrong.

8. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think I have that hardware portion down pat, for sure. Just trying yo figure out what I have done that is clearly wrong.

If you fon't mind my asking you, @M18x-oldie , how did you get that card working in your system? I was told by Eurocom that the 980 was the highest available to use in my system, as the physicsl interface for the 10 series cards is completely different.

9. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    980m is best you can use with the LVDS 60hz panel.

However the 1070 will work with eDP 120hz 3d panel. The physical interface is the same. MXM. The signal each card supports is where it begins to differ. Where 980m supports both LVDS and eDP,the 1070 only supports eDP unless you buy the eurocom 1070 which isn't advised as they overcharge for a product with essentially no warranty and has had numerous reported issues here on the forum.

@Nomad has done a similar upgrade for his and @Ashtrix is what I would call the resident expert on the ranger (our laptop)

Hopefully they can chime in