Just upgraded my Alienware 17 to GTX980M, now issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by BA0701, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I have a pair of gtx 980 desktop MXM , looks like the msi 1070

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The individual that modded it had to mod the PSU to give the supplementary power to the 980 DT and also a copper backplate for the VRAM though Im not sure if that was essential or just for better VRAM temp

3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    This msi gtx 980 does not require the additional power.

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    That may be for other machines but I am assuming there was a reason for modding the PSU for supplementary power. its the only reference we have for that scenario. Its in Dutch and I cant find the forum at the moment. It may very well be fine in the Ranger but it seemed to have issues with GPU's over 150w TDP. Im basing this on the 1080 failed upgrade, which would work on idle but crash immediately after any 3d application was launched.

Anyways, can confirm 3D vision will not work.

http://alienware-forum.de/index.php/Thread/8042-AW17-R1-120Hz-3D-VR-Ready-GTX-980-N16E-GXX/

880m is the best you're going to get, which is pointless in the face of a vBIOS modded 780m unless for some reason your not saturating core before VRAM.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  5. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, so here's is where I stand. Sorry it took me so long to respond, as mentioned, my health issues sometimes knock the wind out of me for a bit, and yesterday they did. So, I got around to it this morning, and here is what I have found. First of all, I have no selectable options under UEFI, I can select UEFI, but when I do, a lone greyed out UEFI shows up on the screen, and there is nothing else to select.

However, I did try disabling Legacy boot, and the system will no longer go to the laptop screen at all, and POST now shows up on my TV, for the first time ever, and then it instantly goes to no bootable media found. So, I re-enabled Legacy boot, but set it to boot using UEFI, and it did the same thing, with using the laptop screen, and this time actually giving it power (previously, whenever nothing was plugged into the HDMI port, the laptop screen never seems to get power, and the system just sits at a black screen, and beeps 8 times) to the laptop screen, as you can see the screen light up, but it then still beeps 8 times, and never reaches post, until I turn it off and plug the HDMI back in.

So, that is where we stand right now, no joy on any of the BIOS boot options. You may be onto something, with the emitter, but is there a way, short of removing the display bezel, that I can simply unplug it, in order to test, or is opening the display bezel going to be my only option regarding that test?

Thank you, very much for all of your help thus far!!

6. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As an added note, I also rolled back to A14, from Dell's site, which seems to be new. I recall not being able to roll back to earlier versions on my M17X R4. Alas, the problem did not go away.

7. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do not see a CSM option in my bios, but as I listed in a couple of posts right before this, I did try several different options in the BIOS, currently A15 stock Dell, with no positive results, but I did get different results, lol.

8. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, saw it. Like you I'm confused, :confused:.

Something else I vaguely recall is not using the bios fast start/fast boot as this can mess with windows loading - straw grab!

Just be careful of a brick, it's a real PITA to blind flash, - might be something to research for safety?

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    There is an emergency flash procedure and a how to here in this forum

10. BA0701

BA0701 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, so I reflashed the firmware, using the emergency procedures found on this board, and the results were identical. However, in the mean time, I got a response on the Dell forums, and it said "You'll need to rewrite the system's firmware to recognize the card - the problem is that the system doesn't have firmware support for a video card with which it never shipped."

This would indicate, to me at least, that I would need to use a custom firmware, which would then, in turn, eliminate the remainder of my warranty. So, it sounds like I might be headed in re-installing the original 780, so the system may be used as an actual laptop. This is very disappointing, given the performance gains I have gotten out of this 980, this card runs my games light years better than the 780 did. Heck, it runs Total War Warcraft 2, on "High" settings, not to be confused with ultra, and the in game benchmarks show an average of 53.2 FPS, whereas with the 780, I had to run that game on "Low" settings, and it averaged around 30, which means during taxing times it could get quite laggy.

Well, it was worth a shot, for sure, and I thank you all, very much, for your responses, you were extremely helpful!

MickyD1234 likes this.