JUST purchased a Lenovo Y500, bad timing?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by aaznblue, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangedrink888

orangedrink888 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I checked and thought it too good to be true.

Estimated ship date: 11/04/13**

US still says 650M, CA says 750M. Can OP wait till November to get the laptop?

2. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would honestly go with the Y500 with the GT650M it's still kepler or a higher clocked version of it.

If overclocking happens to come back to the Nvidia drivers after 314.22 you might be able to get the same performance out of it.

The GT650M GDDR5 is a beast already for a laptop. I was surprised to see ArmA 2 and 3 run at good settings.

3. vr4racer

vr4racer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I say its best to wait to see real world results first... they always say its so many percentages faster and in real world terms it only 5 to 10% at most.

4. dsuspense

dsuspense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am very satisfied with my Y500 GT 650M SLI setup.
    Using the default 306.00 nVidia (Lenovo) drivers, I can overclock singe and SLI and get enough fps to run all the games I play (rFactor, rFactor2, GPL, F1 2010).

5. ChrisNee1988

ChrisNee1988 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was hit with the same dilema, I just got my Y500 last weekend and I was debating returning it. But I didn't do it for a few reasons. The new 700M GPU's don't seem to be a significant improvement over the 600M. The only difference that I noticed was the Power Boost 2.0 Overclocking. If I were to return it, I'd have to pay for a 15% restocking fee and wait who knows how long for it to be refreshed. I didn't think it would be worth it. Plus after using it for a few days the performance was amazing so I wouldn't be able to go back to my old laptop and wait.

6. banini

banini Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are going to wait and then the gt800 are going to be released, this is tech world :p enjoy the present.

7. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Buying any laptop is always bad timing. The second you buy it it's already out of date. I say stick with the one you ordered because you will be surprised how well it performs and I'm quite sure that given a year or two, people here at NBR will find the max limits of the Y series laptops and push them even further than they already have. Besides, if you really had to have the best/fastest laptop, you'd have bought a $2000 boutique machine that still would have been instantly out-dated when purchased.

8. TeeTop

TeeTop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Y500.JPG

Looks like Lenovo's site is saying that it's going to be available pretty soon with the GT750m in the U.S.

9. aaznblue

aaznblue Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hi guys, I ended up being too impatient and wound up purchasing the y500 and opening the box. now of course im stuck with it, in spite of the fact that as shown above, the updated y500 with 750m is already available for purchase on Lenovo's site and shipping 4/16/2013. oh wells, you live and learn :mad:

on the bright side, I played bioshock infinite on 1900x1080 on very high settings and the thing performed beautifully, barely any hiccups in framerates at all. a 650m in SLI seems fine on its own, even if its not the 750m we're hoping for. of course, now I have to deal with this annoying trackpad issue I posted about on another thread. otherwise its a fine fine machine.

10. omegaultima

omegaultima Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad you like it. I know i'm enjoying mines.
    Do you guys think the new 750m version will come with sli capabilities and a spare gpu
    To go along with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.