Just ordered Dell XPS 15 9570, Can it handle Overwatch?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by EORUCIGN, Jun 30, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hahaha. The 9570 performs as Dell intended.

In plain English, that means in the 9570, one should expect both the Intel and nVidia chips WILL significantly underperform their respective marketing specs.

If you have any doubts, there are thousands of posts for reference here for the similar 9550, 9560, and 9570.

2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good.

Then you can let us know if the XPS can handle Overwatch (or not) as we are all sitting here with baited breath waiting for the answer! :p

3. Aganin

Aganin Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok now it's a month since your initial post so I'm pretty positive that you already did the job and played overwatch
    Still you gave no feedback on the thermal fix advice and on the nb capability
    So I registered here (!) from Russia (!!) and I'm kindly asking you to close the topic for the sake of the hole planet at least by saying if it manages overwatch on minimal settings cause it's a disaster otherwise
    Also if anyone knows why the crappy non-gaming xps 9570 is brilliant on Western Gents United video

Thx

pressing likes this.
  4. MSIX

MSIX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My brief comments on the XPS 9570... Had 1 with the i7 8750H and returned due to constantly crashing within hours of receiving it. Also thermal issues.
    Had 1 i9, returned it for the same reasons as the i7. Had another i9, while rather stable after resolving some Win 10 issues, ran very hot and thermal throttled. This one also went back to Dell and was the nail in the coffin for me.

I believe Dell did what Apple ended up doing with the new MBP 18 and just threw in a faster processor without engineering proper cooling. The 4k display was superb, and the build seemed nice. However, this laptop had way too many instability issues and with a price tag of almost $3k should not have the thermal crippling.

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    No overwatch results, but some thermal fix info:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9570-benchmarks-temps.817970/

6. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha sorry for the late reply, I've been still testing, adjusting my Dell XPS 15, and I came to the conclusion that "yes, you can get 144fps on Overwatch with XPS 15", but it's a long process." Like every XPS 15, you gotta change the thermal compound and apply thermal pads on VRM, as well as undervolt both the CPU and the GPU. (I also underclocked the cpu for more stable performance) Then, you gotta delete "intel dynamic platform and thermal framework" to prevent premature throttling. After all this process, yes, I am finally getting stable 144fps on Overwatch.

Maleko48 and pressing like this.
  7. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is xps 15 fhd screen 120Hz? I don think so.

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    No but I believe he is playing on an external screen that is 120+hz

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Reputations:
    Are you able to use G-Sync with an external monitor without an eGPU? I have a S2417DG which is almost identical to your S2716DG only slightly smaller. You game a 1920x1080 and not 2560x1440 right?

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not with the XPS AFAIK but with other laptops it can work