Just ordered Dell XPS 15 9570, Can it handle Overwatch?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by EORUCIGN, Jun 30, 2018.

1. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I recently bought Dell XPS 15 9570, and just waiting for them to ship the laptop. However, I am kinda concern with laptop's performance, and not sure if it can handle overwatch.

The specs of the laptop are

GTX1050ti Max - Q (Why does Max-Q even exist for this graphics card?)
    i7-8750H
    16gb ram
    Using Dell s2716dg via thunderbolt 3 port.

All I want is STABLE 142 fps at FHD with graphics setting everything low. I am aware of thermal issue of the laptop, so I am planning to change the thermal compound, thermal pad, and undervolt at the same time. Do you guys think the laptop can deal with Overwatch @ low setting and give me stable 142fps?

2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Eorucign

The plans you have to repaste, pad and undervolt are going to help with the thermal issues if my machine is anything to go by, I'm pleased with my tweaks and it runs nicely so I'm guessing yours will be the same if not better. I'm not sure about Overwatch at that FPS settings to be honest though, wouldn't a better way to play this be to use an eGPU if you want to play it buttery smooth on your 27" screen? It's a lot to ask of something that is not a gaming laptop with a 1050ti in.

The only way I suppose this will be properly answered if is anyone has actually tried it themselves :)

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha. Not a gaming laptop.

I see on Reddit some people can play Overwatch after some mods and with throttling. But others have crashing issues.

You might see some Overwatch screen shots from youtubers like "Dave2D" or "Western Gents United". Check this

Tally ho!

Woodking likes this.
  4. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    60fps on a 60hz screen might be ok and run well but have any of them played at those settings, 142fps on an external 27" 144hz screen as Eorucign wants to do?

Also, on the video what is it that keeps all the stats on the screen as he plays?

Good video, btw!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was just going to put up. It's not a gaming laptop, not meant to be a gaming laptop. YOU Should go buy a gaming laptop.

6. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    I do understand it's not a gaming laptop. However, my old laptop - GTX970m + i7 4720HQ - was able to pull stable 144fps at the low setting, so I am kinda hoping for the something for XPS15 as well

7. AstriaDel

AstriaDel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Isn't 970M equivalent to 1050 Ti? But this is a Max-Q 1050 Ti on a computer with bad thermals. This laptop will run games worse than your old one.

8. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    GTX1050ti Max - Q isn't stronger than GTX 970m, but since it has 6 core cpu - and overwatch can use all 6 cores -, so I am kinda hoping that it can perform similarly. But again, the problem is thermals

9. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    why is it that in every thread of every forums there has to be a guy posting something like this?

The op did not ask whether this is a gaming laptop or not.

he merely asked if overwatch can be played at 142 fps on a 9570 laptop. it's a simple yes or no question.

And to answer OP's question, yes it's possible with low settings at 1080p. However there will be thermal throttling so an undervolt, repaste is highly recommended.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And I answered the Effing question! NO. if he want's blazing fast gaming performance, go buy a gaming laptop. SIMPLE.

What is worse is the guy who buys a device, and trying to use it for something it was not intended for and *****ing because it does not do what he/she wanted!