Just got the new R835-P50X

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by efstuck, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryoko

Ryoko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you tried running Prime95 and have this issue come up as well? How about whether the Toshiba Eco Utility is on or off?

2. njfhdjfhqw

njfhdjfhqw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Usually I turn on the Eco Utility while on battery, and turn it off right before or after plugging in the power. (It's usually off by the time I start plugging in USB peripherals.) Haven't tested its possible influence too thoroughly yet.

How would Prime95 help? :confused:

3. Ryoko

Ryoko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Prime95 stress tests the processor. Where are you seeing the 25% lock? Is it in the Windows Task Manager where it shows the CPU usage bar?

4. njfhdjfhqw

Reputations:
    Yes; one of the four threads(?) maxes out. The CPU Usage % in the Task Manager's status bar also shows 25%.

In the Processes list, System starts showing ~10%, but the other ~90% is still in System Idle Process.

It looks like the mouse doesn't always trigger the problem when plugging into the upper (USB/eSATA) port, but always does with the lower (USB) port.

The keyboard seems to always trigger with both ports, though I need to test that a few more times.

If the keyboard is already plugged into the lower port (and I do a Sleep/Wake cycle to make the problem go away), subsequently plugging the mouse into the upper port seems to always trigger the problem.

Also, I can still trigger the bug while running on battery.

I'm not sure the problem resides in a place Prime95 will reach, but I guess I can try it out if I run out of clues.

5. tlordon

tlordon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys,
    been a while..
    can peeple run hardware monitor and log some of there temps and say what Load % it was at..

also confirm if you have b2 or b3 stepping the b2 is recalled and the X was suposed to say it was fixed version but all tests come back to the r825-p50x being shipped with B2 Defective Chipsets..

instructions on how to hard check..
    How to Find Out If Your Sandy Bridge Motherboard Is Affected by Intel's SATA Bug - Softpedia

should get responce like this. (also what you type is shown)
    wmic idecontroller get deviceid

Image comment: The wmic idecontroller get deviceid returned REV_04 meaning the motherboard is based on the B2 version of the chipset
    Image credits: heise.de

[​IMG]

It is here where you need to type the "wmic idecontroller get deviceid" command which will return the PCI ID of the chipset that contains the storage controller, unless additional IDE or SATA controller are installed.

The wmic idecontroller get deviceid returned REV_04 meaning the motherboard is based on the B2 version of the chipset
    Enlarge picture
    The result should be something similar to the image on the left.

Although it looks rather cryptic at first sight, we are only interested in the revision number of the chipset, the “REV_xx” field.

If this reads “REV_04” as in the provided example, then your motherboard is based on the B2 revision of the Cougar Point chipset and is affected by the SATA 3Gbps bug, otherwise you are in the clear.

6. njfhdjfhqw

Reputations:
    Well crap, mine really does say REV_04. (I get two lines back when I run the command, and both include REV_04.)

My unit is a R835-P55X. (Weren't the X models supposed to fix this?)

Edit: This Intel support page says,
    So I dunno.

7. tlordon

tlordon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. Ryoko

Ryoko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The USA R830 series are not affected by the Sandy Bridge bug, it was confirmed by Toshiba. Outside of US, I don't know, but within the USA, we are good. Let me look and dig up the Toshiba post(s).

9. Ryoko

Ryoko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I found the Toshiba post in their support forums. The posting was buried in a thread by posters complaining to Tosh about the SATA transfer rates.

Jim is a Administrator there and posted this.

Re: R835 - Limited to SATA II Transfer Rate (3 Gb/... - Page 3 - Toshiba Forums

Here is the support bulletin on products impacted.

Content Details

I hope this is ok and I'm not breaking any rules of the forum. I just want everyone to be aware of the facts regarding the bug and the R830.

10. njfhdjfhqw

Reputations:
    New BIOS update:

Version 3.40 - 2011-11-22
    Implemented the Intel specification for Intel Chipsets to improve stability. (Note: After updating to BIOS 3.40, downgrading to earlier versions will not be possible.)
    Improved: Control of TPM on Intel TXT enabled systems.
    Implemented a countermeasure for an issue where the BIOS password cannot be entered on a USB Keyboard when the USB Keyboard and Wireless USB Mouse are connected and the system is docked.
    Improved: Dock power control while powered off to improve stability.
    Improved: Boot up LOGO screen for Japan models.
    Fixed: If the computer is undocked while shifting to a sleep (Sx) state then re-docked, the computer cannot detect the docker when powered back on.

Let's see if this one fixes my 25%-CPU issue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.