Just got my Refreshed Macbook Pro 13: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by moosez3, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosez3

moosez3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Coming from a PC I guess this is a review on Mac OS X and the new Pro.
    I had on many occasions for the past 5 months been playing with Macs, at school in the comp lab, and in BB and the Apple Store. So I knew what I was getting into.
    This decision was hard for me being a PC user, and seeing laptops for 4-600 dollars cheaper with similar "specs" I had also not long ago built my Phenom II 955 BE Gaming rig, after OC it a bit I feel I am fairly well versed in the PC realm.

Anyways I decided to take the plunge into something new. I decided for the 13 b/c of battery life mostly, and b/c the 15 is too much money with the apple care. I am only using it for school, and any intensive photo editing goes to PS CS4 on the PC. The 15 MBP would likely not be as fast as the PC so I opted for battery life over speed. Although I would have liked the extra real estate.

I am Glad I made this decision. The 13 is very fast, I got the base model 2.4Ghz. I am actually surprised with how seamless I can move through all the windows, dashboards and spaces. I filled my dashboard up and it isnt slow at all, I have 4 spaces and when I am running apps (Safari, Chrome, QT, Pages, Keynote, iTunes, etc.) in all of them there isnt any lag. Obviously there is some getting used to, but overall its pretty easy and straight forward, and best of all it just works.

One Problem that I have found is that the HD (1080p 60fps) videos that I take with my sanyo VPC-Fh1 are very choppy during playback in Quicktime and VLC for Mac. The format is MP4, so I dont know what the problem is, but Im looking into it...

Overall I love it, Im happy with the refresh not that I owned any of the others before, but after playing with them and then getting this for the same price to me seems like a deal.

Here are some pics I snapped with my SLR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just need to get a skin and screen protector now...

2. me12345

me12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your comments and pictures. I'm considering a 13 MBP, as well.

Let us know if you get the 1080p issue worked out!

3. dalma

dalma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the comments as well. I am getting my MB Pro 13 on Friday, can't wait.

4. corujo712

corujo712 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The HD 1080p won't play too well on VLC or quicktime. I have divx pro (video plays quite nicely) but theres no audio codec for dts.

Try using plex....seems to work quite well

5. moosez3

moosez3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just downloaded and played with plex, downloaded a bunch of apps for it:hulu, nat geographic, etc
    I love this player! plays 1080p seemlessly!

6. mtbush

mtbush Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good stuff, just picked mine up late last week.
    Try Perian as well, great set of components for Quicktime and it's always worked very well for me.

http://perian.org/#download

7. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thats a sexy laptop! congrats

8. adastfe

adastfe Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally someone with a new 13'' macbook pro. Everybody is reviewing core i5/i7 but no one seems to have 13''.

How is a battery life? Does it live up to Apple's claims of 10 hours under light usage, like web browsing (no flash video), text editing, reading pdfs, bluetooth off, screen on half brightness?

9. snork

snork Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice pics, did you use a tilt-shift generator for those last 2?

Also, just my humble opinion....get a skin/case/cover to protect the soft aluminum shell, but there is no need to get a screen protector. Glass is pretty dang hard and would take a major "accident" to scratch. Just look at all those YouTube videos of cats/dogs playing with iPads, LOL.

Regarding 1080p video playback...it's generally choppy on 13" MBPs. Plex is a good option for HTPC use, but is a lot of bloat for quick video playback. VLC is great for 720p and below but still stutters with some 1080p stuff, so I use MPlayer OSX. Just go into the preferences and set the cache buffer all the way up to 256MB and it should playback 1080p stuff just fine. http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/

10. akin_t

akin_t Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I too am looking at the 13" ... Good to know you found a solution but I don't understand why the video is choppy with the other players.

That aside, I just watched a video review of Plex and goodness, that's some awesome software for being free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.