Just got my 880M twins!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Arotished, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC GAMER

PC GAMER Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure :)!

2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Careful.. you have 4gb 880m. Flash a 8gb vbios on it and you'll have a paperweight.

PC GAMER likes this.
  3. CakeMaster

CakeMaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ain't that dumb, I just want to compare it with mine. I tried to make my own bios but it didn't work, even bricked the then unbricked it. I'm not sure what to change in the power table, first one is tdp, i tried to bumb it with 15% but it didn't work, looks like i have to tweak something else. Can some one help me? the card isn't even reaching 70c while gaming.

4. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Wow those are some nasty figures man, not even reaching 70 degrees? WTF, are they just running at 405MHz? I would really like to help you but as Tbonesan said, I have the 8gb version. It'll probably just brick your system. Why don't you upgrade to the 980m? It's a much safer thing to do rather than trying to fix your 880m. It seems pretty dead to me.

5. CakeMaster

Reputations:
    I ripped out the fan and slapped in a desktop one which I control from a circuit connected to the wall, and I got some other fancy stuff aswell against heat, I sold all my pcs and laptops to get this ****er cuz I'm moving often and needed a laptkp that fits in my backpack. Talking about the bios, you said yours is not throttling, so I wanted to take a look at it not flash it, just to see what is different from mine, then I try your bios settings set up into mine and if bricks I can still flash it back to stock. I really lost count how many times i bricked it lol

6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It will brick your system, no question, if you flash a modded 8GB vbios to your system.

The only thing you can do... Is change the 117000 power limit to 150000 and hope it makes a difference. If it does not, unfortunately, there is nothing else that can be done without a vbios hex edit. You would probably have to donate a lot to get someone to take the time. The cards are broken. And were quickly abandoned by devs. Because once they pull away the limits they shoot from 70s to 90s.

7. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Sure, I'll upload my VBIOS in a few hours time(kinda busy at the moment) but if I were you, I would probably just sell my 880m and buy the 980m cause as @Ethrem said, they are broken beyond repair. My 880ms are probably performing exceptionally good due to Dell tweaking the VBIOS before shipping it to me if I were to take a guess. Anyways, I am pretty sure that Dell has something to do for my 880ms performance. I guess you can kinda say that I am lucky.

8. CakeMaster

Reputations:
    Can't get a new gpu cuz here in europe we pay waay more for such parts and this was all the money I had.
    I sold 2 pcs and a y580 for 1k, and I got this for 900 euros lol. So, I dont think that someone gonna buy this crap anyway plus the 100 left wouldn't cut it.

9. CakeMaster

Reputations:
    Is that the only column that i have to change? What about the first one, isn't that the tdp?

10. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Well even though it throttles a lot, it still manages to run games decently right? It just won't produce the performance it was technically designed to so I am pretty sure you would be able to sell it rather quickly at a bargain price for ex 250-300 USD. Or just sell your laptop if need be. An ASUS with a 980m should be fairly cheap so maybe you could consider switching to ASUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.