Just got my 880M twins!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Arotished, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    With 780M about 36 FPS average and 980M about 45 with SLI disabled.

Kade Storm likes this.
  2. PC GAMER

PC GAMER Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice,were the GPUs overclocked? Can you tell me what settings or file you tweaked to get that performance? I am still running tha game without any tweaks and gameworks on which is why I think the performance is horrible.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Checkout the gaming thread on this game. Brother Fox did a massive post with all his tweaks there.
    My suggestion is wait to the game is properly fixed. It's a broken POS.

PC GAMER likes this.
  4. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Yeah, at this point, I am just waiting for a major update. Right now, it's just a piss poor port filled with glitches and hideous looking textures. Hey does anyone have an oculus rift? I am thinking of buying one but I don't really know what the PC requirements are.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Posted some new info today. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...tem-requirements.775079/page-21#post-10035460

Kade Storm likes this.
  6. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    For the vanilla version of Arkham Knight, the facts are clear: no proper SLi support from the people who made this game at the moment. We can only give credit to the work being done by end users, such as Mr. Fox, for finding out ways around the issue. Anyway, if you have SLi disabled, then dedicate the second card to PhysX and you'll get performance similar to what Mr. Fox is getting with his 780M configuration. I am getting around 38-40 FPS with that setup depending on how much the test glitches. Also, to be honest, in-game performance is quite a bit better than the benchmark. My concern is more about the instability, even with this initial patch. When one starts the game with a new save, the rain shaders look absolutely stunning, but upon resuming the game, the shader effect becomes vastly reduced. The only way to avoid this issue is to either play the game the whole way without ever closing the application, which is absurd, or constantly restarting with a new save, which is also absurd. I'm very disappointed by this because with this patch, we see an excellent example of how good this title can look, but due to utterly poor initial Q&A procedures, if any, we can't maintain that quality and are still falling well behind what the consoles produce visually out of the box. Nevertheless, at least Rocksteady is working on the issue and the patch notes are clear that further work will be done to improve those shaders as well as introduction of SLi support. Until then, though, I won't be progressing further in this game because I'm damn stubborn about quality visuals and immersion, even more than I am about compromised 60FPS performance.

Re: Custom vBIOS

While I do regularly use the custom vBIOS for testing purposes, generally speaking, I do not, and at the moment I am using standard vBIOS. This might come across as tad controversial but I find that with most of the newer titles, the cards maintain decent clock and I have little need for consistent extra boost. Either a game is generally running around the 60+ FPS mark, in which case the extra 39 MHz hardly makes an appreciable difference, or it is a game that is lagging far behind for other reasons where again, that added 39 MHz is of little consequential value to my ventures. Now where I do find the custom vBIOS helpful is in those particular titles that show a tendency to fall prey to random and substantial sthrottling as well as older benchmarks, but at the moment, I've barely got time to try out some games, so the stock vBIOS is doing a tolerable job. At the end of the day, it's about one's own requirements in such situations.

I'll address your queries about game performance in reverse order because I like to save the better game for last.

My performance in Assassin's Creed Unity, with everything maximised, as you asked, is around 45 FPS. I tend to favour maximum TXAA over MSAA, which is about the same, perhaps an extra FPS or two. Also, with the game itself, since I'm not focussed on getting the best anti-aliasing performance, I am quite content with FXAA, in which case I get over 60 FPS on average. Of course, the cutscenes in this game, which a lot of people can speak for, are a disaster in terms of performance; much slower than the actual game itself.

A good while back, I had run Crysis 3 at absolute maximum settings like BigKrazy in YouTube, even with 8xMSAA. I got similar performance to his output. On the settings you asked for -- medium TXAA and medium motion blur -- I get around 45-80 FPS depending on what is taking place on the scene. I'd put the average itself at around 60 FPS. Again, I'm just as content using minimal TXAA or even FXAA, which substantially boosts the performance.

With the custom vBIOS, the above-mentioned games perform about 10-20% faster, but that does come down to driver quality as I have found that with the newer drivers Crysis 3 doesn't throttle the clocks down as much, just as it didn't with the older 326 series of drivers.

As can be expected, our systems exhibit similar performance.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Mr. Fox and PC GAMER like this.
  7. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot @Kade Storm , a very lengthy post indeed but extremely detailed:) I am running the stock VBIOS too, never ran a custom VBIOS as I am afraid of bricking my cards should I fail the installation. May I ask what temperatures you observe when running the custom VBIOS (I heard it's generally a lot higher compared to the stock one)? Actually I am a subscriber of Big Krazy (a very nice guy). As is to be expected, you and I get the same fps. AC Unity with everything maxed out and MSAA 4x, I get 45fps on average. Crysis 3 everything maxed out and MSAA 8X in @welcome to the jungle@, I get 40fps on average. Very similar performance indeed. I was wondering, how long do you reckon the 880ms to be able to run games at ultra? I was thinking till the end of 2016 to the start of 2017 seems feasible enough. From what I gathered, the difference between the 880ms and the 980ms is roughly around 15-20fps which further supports my estimate lifespan suggestion. Which custom VBIOS would you recommend me as sooner or later, I'll need that extra amount of power given that I am trying to squeeze as much as I can from my 880ms and eventually upgrade to the 1000m series once they come out.

8. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Heh. No worries. Although you do ask questions that beckon a decent response length. At the risk of another lengthy post, however, perhaps we can take this enquiry into a private message. ; )

Edit:

And yes, cards run mildly warmer since they constantly retain a 993 core clock, but that is to expected and the heat doesn't overwhelm the cards.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    PC GAMER likes this.
  9. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    hihihihihhi Okay. Also, I forgot to mention this but my 880ms run at a constant 993MHz in games with stock VBIOS.

10. CakeMaster

CakeMaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can you post your bios? mine runs like dogpoop :C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.