Just got my 880M twins!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Arotished, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    I have, and I'm not even remotely impressed by the SLi performance in my case. However, I am rather intrigued by your score of 51 FPS. Do you have PhysX set to CPU in the control panel?

PC GAMER likes this.
  2. PC GAMER

PC GAMER Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do have it set on CPU. SLi performance is dogshit, the fps is all over the place. You got a nice 3dmark 11 score btw, I got 15000 with both my 880ms but they throttle really much, don't run at 993mhz at all. Do you happen to have a mod VBIOS. In games, my 880ms are flawless, when stepping in benchmark territory, the MHz is all over the place, runs at average 840MHz. They are finicky bastards but I love them:)

Kade Storm likes this.
  3. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Indeed, and with the SLi performance, I have found that my benchmark FPS drops to around 35-40 with PhysX set to 'auto', while a single 880M provides a slower but still awfully close 28 FPS. Thing is that with PhysX set to CPU, the interactive aspects of volumetric fog, smoke and debris become deactivated, which frees up a decent 10-15 FPS. The real 'problem' with SLi performance is the fact that it is hardly noteworthy; a 30% yield isn't impressive by how far dual GPU support has come over the last 5-10 years. It might come down to issues with the game itself, or perhaps even a bit of mishap on Nvidia's side with creating a decent profile for the title. As it stands, however, Rocksteady have acknowledged a problem with the PC version of the game, so that's something worth consideration.

The score in my signature isn't mine, actually, it belongs to someone else, but it's a very decent score that speaks to the concept of 880M when it doesn't throttle in this particular benchmark. As you can see, the site recorded the cards as operating at 993MHz, which most likely means that the owner was using the custom BIOS that's been discussed in this thread.

4. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    A very nice and detailed post, thanks. I will most probably switch physX to my second 880m to achieve greater framerates. I noticed a score of 56fps which is 5more fps with the same settings, physX set to CPU. The SLi utilisation is just a joke though plus the graphics have been severely downgraded to the point where I just want to cry myself to sleep:( I hope rocksteady comes up with a magic patch that will make everything work the way it was intended to be. I won't become the batman till then. Plus it's a shame for the last arkham title(the culmination of so many years of hard work). Indeed, a fully working 880m is a force to be reckoned with (a beast). I will most probably end up with a custom VBIOS so I can squeeze the life out of my 880ms before finally upgrading:)

5. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So gtx 880m sli is possible on the m18x r2?

6. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Sure as hell it is. You can actually upgrade your m18xr2 to the 980m if you wish too:)

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Stay far away from the crippled gtx880m. Choose either gtx780m... Gtx980m also works but there is still some testing left before the card works as it is intended in Aw18x r2 ..

8. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok so gtx880m sli is a possibility but performance wise is lower than a 780m sli and gtx 980m sli. Im asking because i saw the upgrade options for both m18x r1 and r2 on eurocom website and gtx 880m sli is listed as an option for the m18x r1 but for m18x r2 is only an option as a single card solution and i was like wow becouse the m18x r2 is slightly more advanced than the r1 model ,both laptops are beasts though :)

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Gtx880m is crippled with plenty throttling and heat problems (also not fond of oc). Gtx780m love Overclock with lower temp than gtx880m so they are much better cards and perform better. You can use both of those cards in a sli configuration on AW18x r2.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. PC GAMER

Reputations:
    Well that depends, a crippled underperforming and overheating 880m (which is practically 75% of what was manufactured) will underperform when compared to the 780m SLi and the difference gap will be even larger against the 980m SLi. Fortunately for me, my 880ms work flawlessly except that I can't really overclock them due to the locked VBIOS. The highest 3dmark 11 score Mr.Fox was able to pull with the 780ms was around 20500(graphics score and with a massive overclock too) while I get around 15000 with my 880ms averaging at 845MHz. I saw people posting results of 880ms getting 18500(fully working 880ms working at the designed 993MHZ) . So you are looking at 3000 points difference between a massively overclock 780m to a stock 880m. Gaming performance is a beast and I noticed a steady 15fps difference up against the 980m SLi. If I were you though, I would really opt for the 980ms because the chance of you getting a working 880m is close to 0(even less due to them not being produced anymore). Cheers:) P.S. I forgot to mention that but I will be upgrading my 18 to the 980ms as soon as there is a price drop. The steps are different from the m18xr2 though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.