Just bought another broken Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Maxware79, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just mocked putting it back together for a quick snap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That looks really nice, bro. Great job. I love bright red colored laptops and cars.

Maxware79 likes this.
  3. IVHOTEP

IVHOTEP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    :eek:Always wanted a Ferrari laptop...

Now you got me wandering..since I'm about to disassemble mine...why not paint it!

Maxware79 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Might as well. I've done two and it's definitely worth it. Yellow pearl M18xR2 and bright red Clevo P750ZM both turned out great. Just take your time, use good quality materials and proper surface prep with a clean environment and it will turn out nice.

5. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I also had thoughts of Ferrari when it started coming together. I even thought about making the thin strips down the sides of the LCD lid yellow. Getting a clean line would be hard.

Mr Fox is dead on, surface prep and materials are very important. I learned my lessons from earlier attempts on some Aurora desktops. Even though most paints now include a primer, I still put one or two coats of primer down first. It really makes a difference. The most painful job is taping up during prep. Getting it right before you start priming really helps get clean lines along edges.
    These days I use a beach sun-shelter to spray in. It's not a perfect solution but it helps reduce little bits of crap falling onto the paint.

I'm not even sure it will ever see a new motherboard but I'll wait and see. I have a horrible feeling that when the power jack (capacitors/mosfets??) got fried, all the parts got killed. I tried the old HDD in my other 17 last night and it was dead. I'll have to try the LCD, CPU and GPU when I get a chance.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Nothing is worse than the crappy grey they went with. I vote you give it a fresh paint job.

7. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great work, I also see your other glossy white Ranger. Both look awesome. You have really good taste in picking colour.

Maxware79 likes this.
  8. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I'm still not sure if this red one will ever see life again. Not keen to drop $300AUD on a motherboard right now.

9. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Houston, I have a problem! I can't stop buying faulty machines. Another broken Ranger came up on eBay so I pulled over on the way to work and bought it. This one has a 7 beep error so I'm going to assume the worst and say it's another bad board but I'm hoping it's actually a CPU.
    Untitled.png

10. Hirosake

Hirosake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MadMaxTheAlienBuyer.......

in your box'o'old bits...got a i7-4910mq cpu for sale?...ship to Japan?...cheapest i can get is from china AU$216 (Im feeling a bit anti china right now)

How many computers you got right now?
    I think my dad had 20 at his highest count....(not including parts of course..just working computers)
    But he had Amiga and Powermac stuff as well....not a professional..he just bought and fixed and gave to every family member.
    As for the Mrs's....hell it could be worse...could be pissing it up the wall or screwing around...man has to have a hobby (that doesnt include watching chick flicks;)
    H

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Maxware79 likes this.