Just bought a cheap (but broken) AW 17 online

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Maxware79, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I've taken a gamble and won an eBay auction on an AW 17. It cost me about $280 Australian plus shipping and was listed as "for parts, not working". All they said is that it wouldn't turn on. They told me that all they tried was a different power supply but since they had other PC's for sale I have to assume that they have some experience and they tried a few other fixes which didn't work.
    It has a 4910MQ, GTX 880M and 3D 120Hz screen. No RAM or storage included but I have some spare parts to help with these.
    I should get it by the end of the week.
    I'm expecting it's the mobo but fingers and toes crossed it's something a little easier and I can get her running.

2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd say GPU likely, if not the board

3. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try a stick of RAM in different slots to see if comes alive. Then maybe look into reflashing the BIOS, not sure if AW 17 has a recovery method.

4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was also thinking the same thing but there's no beep code so I'm not sure. I have a spare 880M here but I think it was DOA a few months ago because I can't get my M17x or M18x to recognize it no matter what I do (followed all the tutorials). I was looking for a cheap 17 or 18 just to check to see if this 880M was actually dead. I was hoping to just pull the card from the machine and see if anything happens but then I looked closely at the pics on eBay I saw it had the 120Hz screen. I'm assuming it needs the dedicated GPU to boot.

I'll definitely give that a go. I had some old DDR3 Sodimm here but soon realized that the 17 uses DDR3L. I can strip one of my AW13's memory to test on the 17. I'll look into the BIOS reflashing option. Thanks for the idea.

5. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd reset the CMOS to default values. You can never be too sure there.

You could also do a visual inspection. It's not always helpful, but sometimes you'll find burned SMD caps/resistors or traces of liquid that will tell you if something is truly destroyed beyond repair. If you don't find that, there's always hope.

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll jump the CMOS pins and see what happens. If I can get this rocking I will be pretty happy.

7. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    Look into a NVRAM Reset.

8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Would this just be the same as clearing the CMOS by jumping the pins on the mobo?

9. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    No, it doesn't even have CMOS pins that are reachable, just pad's under the RAM/Battery area that need the entire board to be removed.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ahh ok. Never had any experience with NVRAM. What is involved with the reset? I have no problems removing the board. If I get the thing working I will probably rip the board out to respray the chassis white anyway.