Jony Ive Leaving Apple

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Rodster, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    While I don't think this will have an immediate impact for Apple it just signals a continued changing of the guards at Apple and not for the better. When Steve Jobs died I had no doubt that Apple's best days were behind it but it would take time to see that come to light.

Eight years later and it's becoming pretty evident on the impact he had over the company he co-founded. Slowly but surely Apple has reverted back to it's Sculley days and has introduced at times a confusing lineup vs what Steve Jobs knew would work which was to simplify the lineup.

Apple really hasn't offered any MUST-HAVE products since he left the scene and have just milked many of his current offerings. Hate to say it but the Apple Watch is not a must have product.

Jony and Steve were tied to the hip even if at times they butt heads on ideas. But most of Apple's winning designs whether it was the iPod, iPhone, iPad or the first iMac were directed by Steve until it met his approval. Over the years Jony has pushed the limits of his designs to the detriment in the reliability of the product resulting in expensive repairs for the consumer until Apple was pressured to provide a fix.

Some might say but he's not really leaving Apple as they will become his major client. Well on the flipside now he can even go to more extremes in his designs without really having to answer as an employee. It will also take away leverage from Apple if they don't want to lose Jony's designs. Because he will be in high demand from companies other than Apple and you can be sure the biggest Chinese tech companies already have his number at the very top of the list on speed-dial.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did Frank Azor say he joined AMD? If not, Johnny Ive's position will be gobbled up and we might see Apple MBP gaming with fancy lights with same thickness of iPad.
    @Papusan

hmscott likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not so sure Azor will joining AMD. Maybe he rather will take over the baton from Jony Ive and jump directly on Apple? Remember he was the main person behind Alienwares transformation ( dramatic change in form or appearance) into Thin, lighweigted and everything soldered. Exactly the way Apple prefer.

Azor plays down job speculation, takes a cryptic swipe at AMD and Dell in the process.

4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why stop at AMD or Apple? Maybe he can apply his skills at Microsoft or Intel? Wonder how long he and Ryan Stroud could work at the same company at the same time and not go Wolfenstein.

He would feel right at home with the Windows Update division.

hmscott, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My personal take is that Apple fired him and the official spiel is that he is "moving on". Ive always required Jobs to direct him accordingly. After Jobs died Ive's designs lacked the usability that Jobs may not have agreed with. There are rumours that people were afraid to question him at Apple and he was granted free reign after Jobs's death. At any rate, his failed designs, or designs he signed-off on as design chief (Apple MacBook Pro keyboard, Trashcan Mac Pro etc.) cost Apple some serious money.

hmscott, Arrrrbol, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I said the exact thing to my wife. He was canned and like everything apple, it's smoke and mirrors.

Let's not forget releasing essentially the same phone for the past 10 years (iOS). And charging a grand for a freaking monitor stand on his resume.

7. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Lol, I forgot about the monitor stand!

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your wife is really kind. I have usually come across people who hate iSheep_haters!@#*(){}.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We are not apple haters. I am replying on my iPad. But, we are not blind loyalists either.

10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Exactly, and that's the point. For as many post I have made that would appear, I dislike Apple, that's not true at all. I own many and have used many Apple products. It's the individuals who hate anything not Apple such as Microsoft or Windows because it's not an Apple product or because it makes them feel better to say it among their peers i.e. group think. That's what I dislike, the Apple loyalists. I have not used any Apple product that I can say, is perfect and I started using Apple products as far back as the Newton.

I can't say that's wrong because I have no proof if he left on his own accord or was fired but remember, that Jony Ive was reported sometime ago wanting to leave Cupertino (strong desire to move back to England with his family). He had distanced himself from design work at Apple and he put/promoted several people in place to oversee Apple designs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2019
    hmscott and Eclipse2016 like this.