John Dvorak on Win8

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Pirx, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That would be true but there are older versions of windows out there still floating around and probably being used out there in the wild. So I doubt that happen anytime soon. Unfortunately some Mac software of the same software just cost more then the PC version not to mention hardware and til that comes down to PC version prices that will be a hard sell. Also there more people writing software shareware and paid for PC O/S so until that crowd of programmers stop suddenly of which I highly doubt it the PC will still rule over the Mac.

For me Aero is a good feature to have but you have to have the hardware to run it and it does require a good amount of resource to do it but it's much nicer to the eye then blocked views. I for one think Aero is a good feature just that the requirements means your system has to be able to able to handle it. I have a Dell 1525 T8100 4Gig and it uses W7x64Ultsp1 and it works great and before and after looks comparing those with Aero and no Aero is dramatically different to the eye.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My statement is not that it would litterally overnight kill the PC but over time it could severly hurt PC sales. I am also not saying APPLE will become predominant in sales, although it is possible, but it could markedly increase their market share. Time will tell all.................

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Run with Aero on and off and check your battery life. It won't budge a bit. I've tried. Aero uses little resources especially now with GPU integrated with CPU, it's always active.

4. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, it's not. That's why it's called a Release Preview, not a Release Candidate. And, yes, Microsoft is doing things differently this time; to me this looks like some badly screwed-up project management here. Whta a surprise that would be...:rolleyes:

Yep, see here.

5. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows Classic style is what got me to accept XP after 98. Moving up to W7 I spurned Aero until some piece of software required it. Under the hood improvements are what I'd upgrade for, but not at the cost of losing my current workflow.

6. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Isn't the release preview the final public release before Windows 8 goes to RTM? Microsoft changed the naming scheme for their Windows beta releases too this time.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Nope it's still release candidate before rtm. This is still "beta".

8. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    I guess Microsoft has been using Intel's tick-tock schedule, except instead of tick-tock, it's good-crap.

98 (good) - ME (crap) - XP (good) - Vista (crap, relatively) - 7 (good) - 8 (crap)

In addition to being less than thrilled with Metro, the use of the ribbon on every single window in explorer is ridiculous. It works nicely for office but it's so overkill for file browsing that it's actually sort of comical.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I would give "Win8 (crap, relatively)". Since all the tweaks made in desktop mode are awesome. Metro UI is a bit questionable though. It's not crap, it's just weird for now.

10. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.