1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

1. UltrabookFanBoy

UltrabookFanBoy Notebook Guru

Installing Windows 7 on the 24 GB cache chip... are there any cons to this?

Say I run something like Photoshop or SQL server or Visual Studio on this thing.

Would I be better off to let the Express Cache program utilize that drive for working swap space rather than put the OS there?

2. vindicator83

vindicator83 Notebook Consultant

Don't you need to reserve that 24GB cache for the 2 second resume feature? I wouldn't install windows on it -- its too small.

3. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Only con is that it requires some guts to do it, as you have to Secure Erase it (possibly making it hard to restore it to GPT partition table). It's possible that the warranty doesn't cover such activities as well - at least the software warranty. The hardware warranty should be fine regardless I think.

The SSD is actually 32GB of which 30GB is useable and shows up in my computer. Perfectly reasonable as a system disk. After installing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and all the usual programs (like skype, firefox, vlc, reader etc.) I've still only used 15GB - thus have half the disk left to allow Windows some headroom. Remember to disable the hibernation file and lower the pagefile to 1024MB or so, that will free a lot of space.

I don't put much trust in assigned cache disks, and with the room left after the OS install you could still fit a Photoshop/SQL install no problems.

Here's a CrystalDiskMark bench of the Sandisk i100 as a system disk:
    [​IMG]

Haven't looked into how good that score is, but it sure beats a regular HDD by miles. The system feels proper quick.

EDIT: Ok, 4k speeds are poor Still, way better than a mechanical HDD.

Good luck all, I'll try to answer questions

PS. Look up me and jedighosts previous posts if any of you would like to try to use the SSD chace disk as an OS disk. Only try this if you know what you're doing, as missteps could be no fun :)

4. UltrabookFanBoy

You could still allow hibernation, just assign it to your standard 500 GB drive, so that need not be sacrificed I would think?

5. merkman

merkman Notebook Guru

So I'll just ask this here as a general question. In regard to SSD, I've always been more put off by the life of the drive, even more than the price (which has been too high). Anyone know how long these are rated for now? I assume lifespan gets better the longer they make them and the better the tech becomes. But as quick as they are, I'm always scared about how long they'll LAST more. Even as often as we all tend to upgrade anymore. ;)

6. bsb1962

bsb1962 Notebook Enthusiast

I know this is a Asus forum and I am posting for the first time because I am trying to get as much info and feedback on the UX31A. I am not a tech guy and would not be able to do some of the replacements and changes that are mentioned on this forum. I need to replace my old Vaio and am looking into the UX31A for a few months. I am starting to get a little concerned with some of the compalins especially on the touchpad. I have a question on the Vizio. I just looked at the Vizio site and an Ivy Bridge i7 with 256 SSD, Full HD at a great price of $1199. Am I missing something? Any comments on the Vizios?

7. johnx7

johnx7 Notebook Enthusiast

When are you planning to update your guide? I'm not extremely technical but I'm definitely planning to use the SSD to run the OS. Any possibility you can simple it down as much as possible? I get my ux32vd on tuesdsay and I'm way excited. Many thanks in advance!

8. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

I see that with a 5400RPM hybrid HDD, not a 256SSD..do you have a link? It's also 5 1/2 pounds so not really a true comparison to any ultrabook.

VIZIO 15.6” Notebook | CN15-A2 | VIZIO

9. CodingTom

CodingTom Notebook Enthusiast

Any word on whether the UX31A SSD actually got changed before shipping? I'm a little put off by the U100 in the original spec...

10. bsb1962

bsb1962 Notebook Enthusiast

11. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Yeah. I just saw that now too..don't know what site I was looking at before. That seems like a deal.

12. UltrabookFanBoy

Look someone already asked AND answered that question... this thread is ONLY 102 pages long, stop wasting people's time and just read the thread :p

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...ux21a-ux31a-ux32a-ux32vd-100.html#post8637848

From what people have posted, you could get either one, no way to know :(

[EDIT just be clear, I was being facetious :) ]

13. barquito

barquito Notebook Enthusiast

i think someone should make a sticky and guide to move windows into the ssd partition for the ux32vd, thats a great idea, now i am really leaning towards the ux32vd but then theres another concern. people have been saying about the machine heating up, how true is this?

14. CochleaDoc

CochleaDoc Notebook Enthusiast

Is this standard protocol in the tech industry?
    I mean, it's "normal" that end users play "component roulette"- maybe they get a good drive and maybe the get crap?
    That seems pretty unethical to me as well as horrendous business practice.
    :mad:

15. chicgeek

chicgeek Notebook Consultant

Haha. If only the search function on this forum was working. Or I wish there was a way to 'pin' up certain FAQ or key facts.

To everyone:
    If you're looking for a piece of content in this thread that's over a day old, Google is your friend. Try this search term and specify from there:
    Code:
    site:forum.notebookreview.com asus chart

16. ultimaparadox

ultimaparadox Newbie

Been lurking this thread and it has been great getting all the information in one place.

Good news, well for me anyways I literally just got my UX31A-AB71 from Amazon and cracked it open.

Luckily I got the ADATA SSD, if you guys want any more information please let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00863L3K4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

17. AlwaysSearching

AlwaysSearching Notebook Evangelist

This can be somewhat standard. The manufacturer specifies the end product with have a certain feature. If they themselves do no manufactor it then they must source it. Sometimes they need more than they can get from a single source and sometimes they change suppliers mid production maybe due to cost or problems.

Remember the component just needs to meet thier performance specification which may not be th same as yours. Many times different suppliers of a common component do indeed have different performance levels that's one of the things that make them different.

I have seen examples of this with regards to memory, hd, sdd, and screens.

18. K_Leir

K_Leir Newbie

I just wonder as UX31A has all SSD and ram soldered on the board, if they are broken after 1-year warranty, will it be very pricey to fix them? Any way to fix them?

19. UltrabookFanBoy

I believe my VD had a 3 year warranty with a 1 year spills warranty standard.

However, after 3 years and a day... yeah you're SOL.

You either try to solder yourself or order a whole new board... which often costs MORE than the entire cost of the brand new laptop (OEMs have a way of pricing parts that way... wonder why ;) )

Someone asked about overheating.

On my VD I have been running it for about 4 hours, various browsers, lots of remote desktop windows (so not a lot of local HDD work) and it is warmer than the surrounding air but not "hot" by any stretch.

If I was working the video card and HDD then maybe that would be different.

I also have yet to notice any fan ever turn on.

20. wannabesean1123

wannabesean1123 Notebook Enthusiast

I would really like to see what kind of memory bandwidth hit is taken by installing unpaired ram in this thing. Would someone who has installed the 8GB RAM stick mind running memtest86 or a similar app to see what memory bandwidth is being achieved with the asynchronous dual channel?