Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some people already have it... Look in the thread labeled black ux31a or something like that

As for the fans, is the fan always on (on the lowest setting) or does it only come on periodiclly. At the moment it is constantly on very low, but I can tell its there.

2. LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I own a UX31A-DB51 and I'm reinstalling 7 on it. I have the "eDriver" folder stored on an external hard drive where I live, but I'm visiting my parents house right now and don't have access to it.

Can anyone upload this folder? I have always had better lock installing the utilities through that as opposed to fetching the drivers through ASUS's website.

3. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I picked one up today. All of the stores it seems are getting two and they are not being put on display. For anyone interested they have absolute no back light bleed (I knew it was fixable) and at least the early one are back to using the Adata SSD as they always do in the first round or two. Also the black is a really nice change from the five tone of the previous few generations.

Asus Ultrabook 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive UX31A-BHI5T11 - Best Buy

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As for the Adata... Most of the people are claiming other drives (See the thread about the bestbuy black model).

Don1 - Can you confirm a fan on/off/on/off fix on the newer model? Basic question being that when you are online and surfing webpages or doing minor tasks like word processing, does your fan turn on for about 15 seconds then shut off for about 20 then repeat the process?

5. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not having the fan issue at all with this one and I have installed Windows 7 side by side with Windows 8 and neither have it.I do remember it from last summer though. One of many reasons I ended up returning three of these. So far I can't find anything wrong with this one.

EDIT..strike that. O am having the fan issue after all, I just wasn't hearing it..at least under windows 7. I will try windows 8 later.
    Yes..it's doing it in both, it's just a bit quieter but now that I know it it is driving me crazy again and that's too bad because I thought this might be a keeper.

However, uninstalling Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework as mentioned in this post does seem to resolve it to a degree.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/680250-asus-ux31a-fresh-install-guide-3.html

6. disastar

disastar Newbie

Reputations:
    I just picked up an older UX31A-AB71 Zenbook and I'm having major Wi-Fi issues. I've updated the BIOS, installed all the newest drivers, restarted my cable modem and router too many times to count, and adjusted the WiFi channels between 1, 5, and 11, without improving the Zenbook's Wi-Fi reception. It's literally so bad that I have be within 4 feet of the router to receive a signal. Walking just five feet away causes the signal to drop completely. This is absolutely unacceptable. Do I return it or is do I try to open it up and see if the antenna connection is the problem? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks!

7. reddd123

reddd123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the fan problem too, when going to a chrome webpage when it is loading the fan turns on for about 10 seconds then shuts off, and repeat when I change webpages, I am on Windows 8, it was preloaded with Windows 8 so its on BIOS 216 I believe.

8. HerrKaputt

HerrKaputt Elite Notebook User

Reputations:
    I'd make the basic test -- use another laptop to see if that problem also happens with it. If it doesn't, I'd return it.

9. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Change 802n 11 band 2.4 channel from 20 mhz only to auto and if the problem is mainly on battery then make sure you change your advanced power settings to max performance for the radio when on battery. It is normally set to max powersaving. With those changes it should be fine, if not you have a lemon.

10. johnnyops

johnnyops Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UPDATED DRIVERS

I've had issues with battery power settings constantly changing with the previous version of smart gesture. So far 1hr+ and minimum processor state and system cooling policy have not changed!!

The battery settings for min proc state was switching from 5% to 100% and the cooling policy would change from passive to active.

Asus pushed out some new drivers for the UX31A and so far no problems (1hr)
    BIOS 216
    ATKACPI 1.0.0025
    TouchPad 1.0.36 (dated 12/03)

Uninstall old drivers and reboot.
    Load ATKACPI, reboot
    Load Smart Gesture 1.0.36 (dated 12/03), reboot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.