Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawngee

shawngee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, has anyone gotten a UX31A without bleed issues? I have been in contact with an Asus rep who has told me it is just a part of having an IPS display.

2. ZenErik

ZenErik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To me it seems like it's mostly because the display is getting pinched because of a poor design in the lid.

3. wlulaw2015

wlulaw2015 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there any way that the ssd (maybe adata) could be a cause for the shut down?, so far those who have had that issue have adata, or does the ssd not matter at all with this?

4. shawngee

shawngee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been reading a lot of forums lately and I have seen bleed complaints on many IPS displays: Dell, IPAD2, Transformer Prime Tablet, etc..., so I am not sure.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It could be sensor related too, or in the software that reads the sensors. So it thinks its hot enough to shutdown when its not. This could be related to the fan cycling issue where the fan just keeps spinning up over and over without regard to actual temp.

6. ZenErik

ZenErik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed the fan cycling issue. What should I notice from that? I only use sleep. Hibernation file is deleted. Instant on partition is deleted too.

7. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I doubt it's related but FWIW I have the ADATA drive as well.

This is a major showstopper. I cannot risk this thing just up and dying in the middle of important documents.

8. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had an asus rep tell me that as well early on, then told me to exchange it as its likely an isolated issue.

Heres the thing, IPS displays are known for their wide viewing angles and accurate color reproduction. Backlight bleed creates light and shadow areas on the display which would result in inaccurate color reproduction due to light levels.

Apple is known for using IPS displays (probably why asus went that direction since they are competing with the air) and they are beautiful. Never seen any bleed on any of them. Ive had iPad, iPad2, and the new one as have friends and never seen a bad screen on them.

I'm sure there are bad screens out there, nothing is perfect but with the asus I think its on every unit. I got one (my 3rd) that I thought was fine but it got bleed in first few days of use.

Heres what I think is causing it...

Asus designed the zenbook series with the 1600x900 displays they used in the previous generation in mind. I doubt they created new machining for the new A series so they are using the same case parts... the IPS display is likely a thicker part, not a huge difference but enough that the bezel pushes against the screen much in the same way as if you pressed your finger against the bezel edge of most notebooks.

The result is the bleed we are seeing.

The wear of opening and closing the lid over time may increase or decrease the bleed as it works its way into normal use.

9. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you still using windows?

Essentially, the fan operates normally after a fresh boot.... but once you close the lid and let it sleep then open it again the issue starts.

The fan will start to cycle... first hitting its max RPMs then slowly slowing down for about a minute then speed back up to max RPMs. over and over again. I've monitored temperatures and its not heat related.

The end result is that your wasting power on the fan and its noisy making it less appropriate to use in certain situations. The solution is to reboot, but that kinda defeats the purpose of instant on.

Can anyone test their unit to see if it does this... i'm really curious if its all of them or just a select few. Trying to decide if i should return or do a 4th exchange.

10. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My fan goes nuts too. Even when it's sitting there, idling doing nothing.

This display is beautiful, but it just feels like a beta product.

There goes my fan again. 100% blast for no reason. Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.