Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Me too but careful with returns. Amazon has and will ban you for excessive high-ticket returns. Google for more info. They were rampant in 2008, but seemed to have cooled off lately. I got a call from them about 8 months ago asking why I had so many "reasons" on my account (returns).

I have spent over $35k at Amazon since 2000. I pointed out that my return rate was 4% (after downloading a report and doing the math). I asked them how that was remotely excessive. They backed off but it made me nervous.

2. chicgeek

chicgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it helps, I've been split between the UX31A-DB71 and the Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C-A01US for over a month. I ordered the SS9 yesterday, partly because of better form factor, partly because of better quality.

3. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Im using express cache, stock config win7. It does it resume from sleep and resume from hibernate. The only time it doesnt do it is on a fresh boot. It does it in both the entertainment and power save profiles.

So right now im always shutting it down and booting from scratch so its a 30sec until use instead of instant... kinda defeating the purpose.

4. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When its working correctly after a clean boot its silent until it gets a load then only spins up sufficient to cool then returns to idle. It never maxes out.

After a resume it maxes out full speed... sounds louder than my g73sw gaming notebook. While silent fits in well at meetings with the tablet folks, the loud fan noise is distracting and draws attention so i won't use it in meetings. At home, its just plain annoying that every min its cycling up to max, finally gets back down to quiet then 15seconds later kicks in at max again.

Besides the sound issues and the fact that its not how its supposed to work, all that fan activity is sapping battery life.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like the series 9 but its kinda pricy. for the $1350 range its tempting to go 1599 for a sony Z series, but since this is a 2nd notebook for me since my asus g73 never leaves my desk anymore I can't justify much over 1k.

6. chicgeek

Reputations:
    If you have a chance to meet one in store, you'll realise what you're paying for - impeccable build quality, beautiful form factor, and impressive thinness. :) It won me over.

7. bobletman

bobletman Newbie

Reputations:
    So I did a completely fresh OS install on my VD and reinstalled all drivers. Does anyone have any suggestions for software (ie. drivers) that I should install on my laptop to help make the touchpad better, or other parts of the laptop.

8. coldlimit

coldlimit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not as technically saavy as many of you so I'm asking for a little help. I would love to start with a clean OS install.

I don't even know exactly how to reinstall Windows 7. Obviously no disc came with the Zenbook so how exactly will I authenticate it? Also there is some discussion about the partition and also rapid start and the usb3 drivers. Can someone please post a short guide for us old timers?

Thanks!

The one that I purchased from Amazon unfortunately had a Sandisk drive in it and some noticeable small bleed spots at the bottom of the screen.

9. OnlySkills

OnlySkills Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. chicgeek

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.