Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigo235

vertigo235 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So as long as I keep my key from my power supply, I should never need the restore partition right?

2. Inios

Inios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For some reason, it asked me to enter the key for activation. Then I had to do the telephone activation to complete the process.

3. hadisious

hadisious Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is it not possible just using Disk Management? Not very familiar with GPT. Would I just run Easeus in windows to delete the GPT partitions before I re-install? or would I have to boot to it?

Thanks.

4. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So it sounds like the first order of business is to merge the partitions to one and do a clean Windows 7 install. What's the easiest way to add the required Asus drivers? Will wifi work on stock Windows (then I'd go to Asus' site to download everything)? Does Asus have a utility like Lenovo's software update that will identify and download everything you need for the hardware?

5. bobletman

bobletman Newbie

Reputations:
    So just go my brand new Asus UX2VD and I have to say it it is amazing. Was wondering if you guys could help me out with a couple of things though. What is some good software for the trackpad, especially to deactivate it while Im typing as it can get annoying when I keep palm swiping. Also any other nifty programs I should get? And lastly I would like to replace my HDD with a SSD and put new ram in. I know i need a 7mm profile for the ssd and I know i need ddr3 1600mhz with CL11 on the ram, but does it matter if I get 1.35V or 1.5V on the ram?

6. sadf_th

sadf_th Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it's not possible to use disk management. use Easeus (free) as recommended. i've done it, deleted recovery partition and merged the drives. after merging you could do the clean install. for me, i didnt do the clean install just deleted the recovery and merged the partitions to have more space.

7. yinyangtkd

yinyangtkd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would be very grateful for that. I've been trying at it, but it doesn't seem to like the drivers whether I have them on a USB key I'm installing from, or on the SSD itself. Some people have recommended rewriting the Win7 USB key, but I've used the same one on multiple other machines with no issues. Tried the cancel, swap usb ports, and click install again, but I can't seem to get past the cd/dvd driver missing message. Using a usb 2.0 thumbdrive if it matters. I may just borrow an external dvd drive from work at this point to see if that makes things any easier.

Explanation of prep work and the MBR/GPT issues, and any needed drivers not found through asus would probably be helpful. I don't know what kind of difference in performance the clean install will make on this particular machine, but getting the crapware off would be nice.

As a side note, I bought my UX31A in a Best Buy store, and it does have some significant bleed, and a slight bright spot in the bottom right. Sandisk SSD. Gaming performance is as expected, not too great, especially at full resolution, but passable if you play windowed or bring the resolution down to 1366x768. Aside from the screen bleed issue, the build quality is superb.

8. sbslammer

sbslammer Newbie

Reputations:
    I also bought the BB model (yesterday in fact). On opening it/setting up windows I found the d, backspace, delete, and left arrow keys didn't work. I'm assuming this is just a defective unit, but has anyone had similar problems?

9. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes, easeus is just a partition tool but it sup[ports deleting gpt partitions. What I did was delete them and then go into windows disk management and extend the C partition. I still would leave that 200MB partition at the front of the drive alone as deleting that may cause a problem but the 4GB and 10GB are fine to delete.

10. Don1

Don1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Neither wifi or usb will work on windows after the install. You will need to put the usb driver on your stick and point to it to install so the windows install itself can run. I would have the wifi utilities there too. Once you have wifi and usb working you can get the rest as you said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.