Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuxDude

TuxDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should be getting DDR3 1600 CL11 if you want to run at 1600 MHz. If you do get a DDR3 1600 CL10, the RAM clocks down to DDR3 1333 (CL 9 i presume).

Afaik, Crucial, Kingston, Patriot, and G-Skill are all reliable and popular RAM manufacturers. And usually for SODIMMs the RAM manufacturer hardly makes any difference.

I went ahead and purchased the Patriot one here: Amazon.com: Patriot Memory Signature DDR3 8GB 1600MHz SODIMM (PC3 12800) PSD38G16002S: Computers & Accessories
    Many have reported success with this in this thread. I can confirm after I get my UX32VD on Tuesday.

Although I've read many benchmarks and reviews stating that there is marginal difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 that you'd notice it in your day-to-day usage.

2. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Notebooks with the battery permanently installed often have a power circuit that can switch completely off (handy for RAM upgrades where possible and for shipping since battery can't be removed). Once this power circuit is triggered, you have to plug in the charger to get it to boot up.

3. USlava77

USlava77 Newbie

Reputations:
    All issues resolved with me, rapid start tech installed, aero features enabled, PCI controller in device manager gone.

I could write quite an interesting book about how I completed a clean
    install of Windows on the UX31A... interesting to software geeks at least.

I had managed to create a situation during the installation where I had an unallocated SSD partition that wasn't a partition and was not in MBR format and therefore I couldn't boot without the usb or access the SSD. I was at the step to browse for the USB3.0 drivers which had to be on the SSD which again, I couldn't access. Paradox.

If anyone has issues doing the clean installation itself, off of the usb, I could probably answer some of your questions.

4. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would be very surprised if it had any effect on battery life. RAM has very little current draw.

5. reddd123

reddd123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to know your process but then I see I will just wait til Windows 8 comes out considering a few months then install a fresh OS.

6. mykie

mykie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mushin Enhanced Essentials I can confirm works as well.

Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model 992038

7. ZenErik

ZenErik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you happy with your UX32VD? I ordered the same laptop yesterday and will also be putting a 256GB Samsung 830 in there.

I also noticed that the RAM you linked is 1.35v. Does the UX32VD support RAM running at 1.35v, or does it change it to 1.5v? Either way, I ordered that stick. The chance of it running at 1.35v seemed appealing compared to the Patriot memory that'll be 1.5v no matter what.

8. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Usually the Best Buy models have something different (like the Sammy S7 lacking a keyboard backlight and the Toshiba Z835 with no bluetooth)... I wonder if the Zenbook is missing something other than the accidental damage warranty.

9. mykie

mykie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm extremely happy with mine, as I don't think I got any of the "defects" that others have, even the backlight bleeding that I think has been a little blown out of proportion.

My trackpad is fine with the latest Elan drivers, though the click is a little loud, and it seems impossible to find another power adapter for it; I was told by Asus that estore.asus.com will have them in August.

Now, to actually answer your question, according to CPU-Z, my ram is actually running at 1.28v, 800MHz (DDR), and dual channel.

10. SkylinesSuck

SkylinesSuck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my UX32VD-DB71 in the mail from the States. I ordered it from jr.com and was worried it wasn't going to get here. USPS is the only way to ship to us (APO address in Japan) and they are banning all Lithium Ion batteries from being shipped by air. Jr.com labeled it "ASUS UX32VD-DB71" on the customs form which isn't technically a lie, but they didn't mention it was a laptop :D Anywho, I've got no dead pixels and very little light bleed from the bottom. I do have a very flexy keyboard though. Sending it back isn't an option for me. Anybody have any clues as to what they did to fix the flexy keyboard issue? I'm probably going to have to take mine apart and replicate their fix (or just make one up). It's just as bad if not worse than what you see in some of the youtube videos which segways into my next issue:

What fixed this? I'm having the same problem and have no clue what's going on.

Looking forward to seeing what people do with linux and this thing. I'm wanting to run Mint Linux soley off the integrated SSD and run /home and windows off the 256GB SSD I have on the way, but I'm not doing that until a lot of these issues are resolved (battery life being a big one for me).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.