1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

1. HunkaHunka

HunkaHunka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a problem with the video display of my UX31A, with the FPS screen and Win 7. A few days ago I noticed that my desktop background (set to solid black) showed several dozen failed pixels (red, green or blue). Since then, the problem has been intermittent: sometimes there's no problem at all, and other times it's only perhaps a dozen pixels. I re-installed the Intel HD Graphics Driver but that didn't help. I noticed many months ago that my screen would temporarily go strange, as though the brightness was cranked up to 11 so that the colours became almost neon for a few moments. At the time, I thought it was because I had recently installed Flux but now I'm wondering if that was related.

This is my first pixel problem. Any thoughts on cause or solution?

2. ktriebol

ktriebol Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It sounds like more of a hardware problem related to the Intel onboard graphics part of the CPU. Unfortunately, if that is the case, you would probably have to replace the motherboard, since the CPU is soldered on and not replaceable. Not a simple or inexpensive task. You would need to evaluate whether or not a repair is worthwhile.

3. mynickname

mynickname Newbie

Reputations:
    My UX31A ultra book display is blank after poweron. I can see the backlight is ON but no images appear. The external display through the HDMI output and mini display works fine.

I took it to a local asus authorised service center in India and they said they cannot repair it here in India. This model is not sold in India. I bought it from USA.

Can anyone tell what could be the problem?

TIA

4. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could try reseating the display cable in both the motherboard and back of the display it may be partially out.

5. zoglog

zoglog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone's unit randomly shut off or restart? It happens very rarely but it has happened like 5 times in the past year.

2 1/2 year follow up. Still an awesome notebook. Biggest downside is the battery life for me right now. Otherwise still awesome.