Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreyfuncrusher

coreyfuncrusher Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks man, Sounds like people might be getting them fairly quickly through newegg even though they are ordering when it says "backorder". Can anyone confirm this? Might just buy from newegg to avoid the tax.

I think he's talking about the 5400 rpm 'hybrid' hard drive in the ux32vd.

2. tjp888

tjp888 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would if I could. But the profile is applied via the Spyder software. In addition the Spyder software will not install without a license/serial number.

I highly recommend it though. You can get a Spyder for around $100. There is also the Pantone Huey Pro for something like $80. I've used both and the Spyder is worth the few extra bucks.

3. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is perfectly normal. There is not any single laptop-sized battery that holds exactly as much mWh as it's rated to. This difference is known as wear, as it will also decline with wear. To have 3% rated on a completely unused battery is great, most start out with a higher 'wear' than that.

The wear level can also be improved with usage, so if you drain and charge the battery a few times it could go to 2% or even 1%. Mine improved from 4% to 2-3% over two full charge cycles. It will then slowly decline over the years.

4. xen_au

xen_au Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my UX31A-DB51.

Can confirm comes with 128gb ADATA SSD. And that there is back light bleed in every corner of the screen. Bottom right is the worst. So far only noticed it when booting / all black screen.

I have 104gb shown on the SSD, and 36gb is taken up by the default install on the UX31A. Leaving 69gb free space.

This seems like a crazy amount of space to be taken up by windows.

Does anyone know why it is so large? Can I use the recovery partition to do a clean install or will it install all the ASUS crap as well?

If I can't, how do I go about doing a clean install (where do I get windows 7, how do I find out my current serial number, etc)

5. ux32vdssd

ux32vdssd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those who care about Linux, I just downloaded the Ubuntu 12.10 beta, and booted it off of a LiveUSB that I created. It works just fine, which is good. A bunch of intel and asus power management drivers were automatically active, so that's encouraging.

6. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know of any compatible 3rd party power adapters for the ux32?

7. sacricide

sacricide Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you like the Asus vs the air?

8. zackiv31

zackiv31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How's the fan? How's the heat (youtube/flash is usually a good test)? Interested in seeing if it's a software issue with the ASUS crapware on windows or if it'll be great running 12.04.

EDIT: How's the resolution for you? I have 1400x1050 on a 12" right now, I think 1920x1080 should be a bit smaller.

9. lespaul00

lespaul00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. For those of you who upgraded (the UX32VD) to 10GB RAM and replaced the HHD with a SSD... what are the Windows 7 Experience Index scores that you're getting (for each category)?

I saw a video showing the keyboard flex, and I have to admit, it's pretty bad. That's probably the only thing holding me back. My Vaio Z is still a good machine.

10. wannabesean1123

wannabesean1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since there have been a lot of people talking about fan issues and backlight bleeding, I figured I would say that my ux32vd has no discernible backlight bleeding, and that as shipped it did have the fan issue, but updating the bios has since fixed this.

I put in the Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-NB 2.5" 240GB SSD in and am getting 530-550MB/s read and write speeds. I haven't timed the startup, but it is on the order of several seconds.

I have also installed the windows 8 release preview, and despite there being no specific drivers for windows 8 yet, most things work correctly. The hotkeys don't seem to work properly, but I figured there would be a few drivers that didn't work completely. Hopefully Asus gets to writing win 8 drivers before too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.