Ivy Bridge Zenbook with FHD IPS screen UX21A UX31A UX32A UX32VD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mech0z, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedighost

jedighost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry about that. I should have said: I'm happy that there are girls around here too. I find the ratio still too small though. Didn't mean that any girl would be less valuable member of this community, but rather the opposite.

Are we okay like this?

Pcdo, i hope you have bought the 7mm thick Crucial M4, the 9.5mm will not fit. And I agree, keep it if you use Photoshop and other huge installs. They will not fit into 30GB and it would be literally painful to run them from the 5400rpm HDD.

2. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @jedighost:

chicgeek does not exactly mean geekchick.

3. jim1123

jim1123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the ethernet dongle support gigabit?

4. jedighost

jedighost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, have you checked her profile? It seems to me that she is a chicgeekchick.

5. luffytubby

luffytubby Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As far as ULV processors goes, the way I understand hyper threading is that HT only works sometimes. if the temps gets to hot it will do funky stuff by itself and you will be denied turbo boosting.

so if I am playing a game that requires dual core at 2,5 ghz to run effectively, - then if this machine gets to hot will it then downclock itself? (throttling) ?

thats a risky thing because the ULV i7 can run two cores at 2,8. that's actually quite a lot if you think about it. but will it then rarely allow that if the machine gets extremely hot?

6. chicgeek

chicgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Eh, whatever. Sorry dudes, bad phrasing is an enemy of us all. (and chic ≠ chick)

Anyhoo, back to awesome laptops!

7. modulationz

modulationz Newbie

Reputations:
    I received my ux31a from Amazon this afternoon. If you are picky about backlight bleed, you may want to skip this laptop. I have seen two samples, and the backlight bleed is very noticeable along the bottom edge of the screen (when viewing dark content). Regardless, I still believe that the screen is superior to the screens found in the x220 (IPS - which has backlight bleed too), the Samsung NP900X3C (brightness/contrast seemed lacking and the screen looked "fuzzy" to me because of the antiglare coating) and the 13" Macbook air. Still trying to determine whether or not I am going to try for an exchange.

8. jedighost

jedighost Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No, and it's only USB 2.0.

9. animalkingtakeover

animalkingtakeover Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't think HT will get disabled. the cpu will simply return to its base clockspeed. Only if it gets really hot (>100C) will it start throttling below the base speed, but that probably means something is wrong with your machine.

check this out: AnandTech - Mobile Ivy Bridge HD 4000 Investigation: Real-Time iGPU Clocks on ULV vs. Quad-Core (scroll down for the cpu graphs)

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much as the gpu is far more likely to be the bottleneck anyway than the cpu.

10. pcdo

pcdo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    LOL. I was sure I got the 7mm version but now that I look at the box it is the 9.5mm one CT256M4SSD2. Ok, returning to Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.